Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

A disk read error occured

Post by frankive »

I have backuped up a 2008 R2 physical computer and I am trying to restore it to a 2012 R2 hyper-v computer.
I want to map the drive c: d: e: to new .vhdx file with name c: d: e: too.
So far so good, and during the restore I can remap this automatically.

But after the restore finish and I try to boot I get the error: A disk read error occured. Press ctrl alt delete.

It doesnt help to try to fix the bootproblem with windows RE tools.

Any ideas how to solve this? I will start a restore with all the c: d: e: partiitons to just one .vhdx file and see is the automagic will work.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: A disk read error occured

Post by Mike Resseler »

Frank,

Interesting. So you are using BMR and recovering ALL partitions, including the hidden ones to a VM config? Or are you only recovering the volumes?

I have done it a few times as a test and it did work very good so I am not sure why it is failing at your side....

Are you using a generation 1 or 2 VM?

Mike
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Hmm, it restores just my to my .vhdx connected to scsi-controllers. I am running 2012 R2 Hyper-V gen1 VM.
After restoring the system volume automap it restored to my virtual "D" drive, a scsi drive. After the restore, I moved the disc to IDE and it booted straight away.
Now I must do volume restore for d: and e:

:)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Frank,

That explains a lot. Unfortunately, we are not a P2V solution so you might need to do some manual mapping. But glad that it works now for you. If you want to share more details, we are always happy to hear them

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Frank,
It might be a bug, though. It seems when you performing a restore to vhdx we allow to use auto allocation for some reason, even if the disk was not ever allocated at all (it was not right?). Thanks for mentioning this behavior – I’ll check it
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

because of the time i had for the project I had to use Disc2Vhd which worked jsut fine as it always does :)
I wanted to give Veeam Endpoint a shot because it has always worked in my lab.
I am pretty sure we would have managed it go get it working, but due to the time limit (talking hours) I did not have the time to troubleshoot too much.
I will definelately give it a shot on my next virtualization project to harvest more experience for myself and give you feedback.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Frank,

Thanks for the heads up. If you want to try this again, don't hesitate to let us know what you are doing and where it goes wrong!

Cheers

Mike