Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rockandroller
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Walker

Ultra-slow boot from CD, am I doing something wrong?

Post by rockandroller »

Wasn't really any obvious docs on this...

I installed VEB, (on w81pro) and made a little 8GB backup of a small partition, to a NAS. Then I made recovery media, and burnt the ISO to a CD ROM. Then tried to boot from CDROM - legacy CD boot. Got a blue 'windows box' icon, and the disk spun and spun - for a couple minutes, no screen activity whatsoever. I did a CTRL-ALT-DEL and tried reboot again, this time "UEFI CDROM"... a little different screen, and after another couple of minutes of disk spinning, the restore utility came up. Found my backup on the NAS, and attempted to restore it. In about 3 seconds it finished OK. Or so it seems...

so...

1) was the restore comparing checksums - decided the disk hadn't changed, (it had not!) and thus skipped overwriting? Or did it just fail? It took 8 minutes to write the backup, I cannot see it restoring 8 gigs in 3 seconds! Is this incremental restore in action? I was expecting a partition image overwrite...

2) was the first ultra-slow boot a glitch, or is UEFI booting really a neccessity?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Ultra-slow boot from CD, am I doing something wrong?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Michael,

This looks like something is not doing what it needs to do... If you do a BMR or volume recovery from the recovery media, it should overwrite everything. Finishing in 3 seconds is indeed not normal :-). In our utilities on the recovery media, there is a possibility to export the logs to a location (your NAS for example). It would be very handy if you upload them on some onedrive, google cloud, dropbox or something and DM the link to d.popov so they can investigate.

I am not sure about your boot process. I assume that your pc was installed with UEFI enabled, and because your recovery cd is built on that pc, it will require it... But again, not sure about that

Mike
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Michael,
In about 3 seconds it finished OK. Or so it seems...
Can you confirm that the volume was actually restored (check the file modification date for example). In addition, take a look in your backup location; you may find a portion of restore logs over there. By the way did network drivers were installed automatically or you have to set them manually? Thank you in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

P.S. Legacy boot is used for old/outdated hardware – if you are running win 8.1, I guess, your hardware completely supports UEFI boot.
rockandroller
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Walker

Post by rockandroller »

No actual overwrite of the volume happened. The network configured automatically.

There are logs on the NAS backup target, a couple sets of "appliance log" zips. Do those qualify as restore logs? Hard to tell by peeking inside them...
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Understood, thank you. By the way, what was the size of the partition? Any chance you could share the said logs with me?