Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
lukejf
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Luke

Tape Library Issues

Post by lukejf »

case 00690062
Hi Guys
We recently upgraded veeam to version 8 at a customers site and also installed a new tape library HP 1/8 G2 LTO6 media changer.
We are having no issues with the veeam VM backups, however we are having constant issues with the tape support that is getting very frustrating.
To me it seems veeam is failing to inventory the tape drive, when it comes time to do a backup it has no idea what tapes are in the library. We started out getting this message every day.
Library locations are out of sync, please run the inventory. Tried to load tape Tape 19 into the drive, but Tape 21 was loaded instead.
The back works however but the error above is reported. Please note our media pool is setup to create a new media set for each backup with no retention.
On Tuesday I removed the tape drive from the veeam server, reinstalled all the drivers, setup the tape media pool in veeam and inventoried all the tapes again just to make sure everything was setup correctly.
The backup worked fine Tuesday night as the tape that remained in the drive after that changes i made Tuesday had a manual inventory run on it in veeam.
However last nights backup was sitting there this morning waiting for a tape.
18/12/2014 2:30:26 AM :: Insert a valid tape into the library, oldest retained tape: Tape 19, last written tape: Tape 15
I cancelled the backup ran an inventory and ran the backup again, What do you know it worked fine. It recognised that their was media in the library and away it went. The only thing i have done besides a standard install is I did install a manual patch as we use reverse incremental and veeam 8 and had some issue where for some reason when running to tape it would create a synthetic backup first causing everything to run slow.
Veeam are looking into it but so far have not been able to resolve the issue. Just wondering if anyone else is having similar issues with media changers
Thanks
Luke
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape Library Issues

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Luke,
Thank you for detail description of your issue. I wonder if the upcoming patch1 could solve it, so please, continue to work with the support team and keep us posted.
lukejf
Enthusiast

Post by lukejf » 1 person likes this post

d.popov wrote:Hi Luke,
Thank you for detail description of your issue. I wonder if the upcoming patch1 could solve it, so please, continue to work with the support team and keep us posted.
We resolved this issue by running a powershell inventory before the backup to tape job. It seems to be an ok workaround at this point
lukejf
Enthusiast

Post by lukejf »

Hi Guys, Just an update, We have exact same setup in version 7 and have no tape library sync issues. Can Veeam please ensure this is fixed in the next patch. I have patched version 8 to the latest version.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Luke,
I understood you are not using the barcode labels in both setups, right?