Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
silbro
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Silvio Brossi

veeam and vmware license, what do I need?

Post by silbro »

Good day

I'm very confused with all the versions veeam and vmware has. This is what I have and what I like:

I have 2 physical servers, each having 2 used cpu sockets. 1 machine is where the VMs run on and are productive, the other one is just used as a backup server in case the productive one crashes. If the productive one has hardware problems we will use start the VMs on the backup server. The VMs should be running when backing up, I dont want to shutdown the VMs in order to back them up. We have 3 VMs that will be backed up.

what do I need? I called a reseller and the total cost of veeam and vmware was almost 5000$!? I can't believe this, I thought the vmware license is around 1000 and so is the veeam. I don't want to back up from 2 physical servers, I only want to back up the VMs from ONE physical to the other. If the productive physical server crashes or has hardware problems we will repair it and not make backups of the vms running on the backup.

Please help!

sincerely
silbro
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: veeam and vmware license, what do I need?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Silvio,

Veeam Backup & Replication is licensed per physical CPU socket of "source" hypervisor host (where protected virtual machines reside). Destination hosts for replication and migration jobs do not need to be licensed. Hosts running virtual machines which are not being processed by Veeam do not need to be licensed, even if they are a part of the same cluster.

General information about Veeam pricing can be found here.
For additional information, please contact your sales representative.

You can always start from the free 30-day trial version of Veeam Backup & Replication.

Also please read related FAQ section. Thanks!
silbro
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Silvio Brossi

Post by silbro »

Thank you for your reply. This makes sense to me :)

Can you maybe also tell me what I need in VMWare? I just want this feature for migrating the VMs while they are running. I heard something about vmotion, but the real question is, what is the minimum package that I need for veeam to use this feature?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome Silvio,
silbro wrote:I just want this feature for migrating the VMs while they are running. I heard something about vmotion, but the real question is, what is the minimum package that I need for veeam to use this feature?
The most interesting offer for you can be Veeam Backup Essentials. It works with any VMware licenses.
Talking about VMware vSphere,
Looks like for your environment VMware vSphere Essentials Kit might be sufficient. Note, that unlike Veeam, VMware sells support separately from the product.
However, as far as I know, vMotion is not a part of the most moderate kit (VMware vSphere Essentials Kit) and you need to buy Essentials Plus Kit or VMware vSphere Standard. But, it`s better for you to receive a consultation from VMware representative. Please, contact them for additional information about VMware products. And don`t hesitate to ask us about Veeam`s :)
Thank you!