Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Isaksson
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kristoffer Isaksson

Store backup on Proxy

Post by Isaksson »

Hello.

I have the Veeam Backup server at Site A,
I have installed a new vmware host at Site B and also a new Veeam Proxy, i have done this several time at different locations and the backup is working, but my problem is that on site B i have a very slow network connection, iam about to install a new file server at Site B and in my calculation the first full backup will take almost 20 days, the speed of the network will handle incremental.

So my question is, is it possible to tell Veeam to store the full backup at that Veeam proxy server at Site B and then i could fetch this backup with a big USB drive and move the files to my main veeam backup server at Site A and then start to send the incremental backups to Site A?

Or is there some other way to handle this first Full backup?
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: Store backup on Proxy

Post by alanbolte »

Step 1: Create a repository using either the same server as the proxy at site B, or another server at site B.
Step 2: Create and then run a backup job using the proxy and repository at site B.
Step 3: Copy the files onto USB and ship them to site A.
Step 4: Create a backup job using the proxy at site B and the repository at site A, and follow http://www.veeam.com/kb1729 to map the backup files to the new job. You could also just reconfigure the existing job.

However, considering how impractical it might be to perform full VM restore over such a slow connection, it might make more sense to have a permanent repository at site B, with backup copy to site A for redundancy. Seeding and mapping for backup copy is similar to a normal backup: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/v ... _file.html

If you have Enterprise Plus, you might also consider deploying WAN Acceleration for the backup copy job.
Isaksson
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kristoffer Isaksson

Re: Store backup on Proxy

Post by Isaksson »

Thanks, that seems like a really good solution.