Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jmerfeld
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James Merfeld

Veeam and Nimble

Post by jmerfeld »

We just pulled the trigger on a new Nimble san to replace our Lefthand stuff. We are backing up our production datacenter with veeam currently using SAN Mode with two windows proxy's.

On the lefthand system, you can select what server gets what permission i.e Read/Write or just straight read. So my Vmware hosts are using read/write and Veeam systems are using read only for the san volumes.

When i move to Nimble, nimble doesn't let you select different permissions based on the target servers (Maybe i'm wrong?), but i cant find it. Its either all or none.

How are people handling this? I have followed this article http://www.veeam.com/kb1446 and that works for me. Are you relieing on just that "Dontautomount" command or do i need to change how i am doing my backups with a different transport mode?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam and Nimble

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

James, if presenting LUNs in read-only mode is not possible, you're still safe to use direct SAN, since Veeam B&R automatically sets SAN Policy to Offline/disables disk automount during installation of the proxy server, which prevents disks from being initialized (it is disk initialization that can result in data corruption).