Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Daniel N.
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Merge speed on NAS?

Post by Daniel N. »

Hi there,

I currently use Acronis to do my backups, but I want to get away from that terrible product.

Backup speed is really fast with both, Acronis and Veeam, but I am interested in merge speeds. I do my backups over a 1G network to a Synology NAS. With Acronis, a merge is painful. Without exaggerating, a merge takes 10 to 20 times the duration of a new full backup. How fast or slow is Veeam doing a merge, compared to it's regular full backup?

Cheers
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Merge speed on NAS?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

I am not sure how Acronis works, but here is how we work...

The first backup is a full backup, all the following ones are incremental ones. After the defined retention that you have selected, the full will be merged with the one after that, making the oldest recovery point going away. We will get more into detail in this process later on when we are GA, but we use the forever incremental process which you can read in our manuals on Backup & Replication.

For the merge process, it should not be painful at all and considering the way we make sure that the process works "slower" if needed (when you need the resources) you should not suffer from it.

But don't take it from me. Take a retention policy of 1 or 2 days and see for yourself :-D

Cheers

Mike
Daniel N.
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by Daniel N. »

Uhm, guys, I thought I've seen the merge option somewhere, but I cannot find it anymore. Where is it?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

There is no merge option in VEB. The merge between a full and incremental happens automatically

Cheers

Mike