Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ephracis
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Christoffer Brodd-Reijer

Synthetic Full Backup schedule vs tape job schedule

Post by ephracis »

Hi,

I want to create a tape backup job which takes a full backup directly to the tape, without using any disk space.

If I understand it correctly this is possible via the "Schedule" button under the "Media Pools" section in the tape job. How does this differ from the schedule of the job itself? I also noticed that the schedule for creating synthetic full backups as part of the tape job does not allow me to specify a time, only days. When is it run?

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Synthetic Full Backup schedule vs tape job schedule

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Christoffer,
tape backup job which takes a full backup directly to the tape, without using any disk space.
You can achieve this only by setting a short retention on disk job (for example one day retention)
How does this differ from the schedule of the job itself? I also noticed that the schedule for creating synthetic full backups as part of the tape job does not allow me to specify a time, only days
Synthetic full backup to tape is controlled by tape job. Yes, you set the exact date in the Schedule, but it will use the existing backup chain, specifically it will pick the increment from the disk and merged it with the full backup and then transfer it to tape.

Job schedule starts the tape job, then synthetic full backup schedule is checked and the increment for the specified day is transformed in to full. If there are multiple increments on the set day, the last will be used. Do not forget that you need to enable incremental backup on the tape job (proses increments option) – otherwise synthetic full will be skipped (this behavior will be corrected in the upcoming patch 2)

The last but not the least please make sure you are up to date: Veeam Backup & Replication 8.0 Patch 1
Dave338
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David

Post by Dave338 »

I have an opened case for a similar question, and I've not still found the correct setup.

If I leave disabled the "process incrementals" option, I get no new backups on tape, no synthesized are processed at all.

If I enable the incremental option, I get the incremental files copied to tape except ones that I have enabled as full virtual, which I get full vbk on tape, so is working correctly, but is not what I want (only the full virtual on tape of the day I want)

Regards.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, David,

According the plan, requirement of having "processing incrementals" option enabled will be disregarded in patch 2, so, stay tuned.

Thanks.