Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Bunks
Novice
Liked: never

Tape Explorer & Backup help please

Post by Bunks »

Hi I have 2 questions and was wondering if anyone could help please?

1. We backup to tape a 3TB file server, using a backup to tape. Is there anyway I can use the file explorer direct from tape to restore a file or do I always have to restore the VBK to disk then use file explorer requiring a spare 3TB of disk space?

2. We are looking to run forever incremental with 1 month on disk and 1 year on tape, can anyone help me setup the tape job so that say on the 1st jan it takes the full on the tape then the rest of the year it only takes the incremental. I have a forever incremental job running currently to disk with a months retention, but i dont know how to setup the tape side. I thought that if i tick the increments box it will take the vbk and increments and if i untick it will take the vbk even though it is the oldest file, or have i got that wrong?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape Explorer & Backup help please

Post by veremin »

do I always have to restore the VBK to disk then use file explorer requiring a spare 3TB of disk space
Correct.
We are looking to run forever incremental with 1 month on disk and 1 year on tape, can anyone help me setup the tape job so that say on the 1st jan it takes the full on the tape then the rest of the year it only takes the incremental.
Create a backup to tape job, selecting the said backup job as its source, make it copy both fulls and incrementals. That's all.

When a time comes, and the oldest restore point (.vbk) in forward forever incremental chain starts to transform, a backup to tape job will disregard it, copying only incrementals.

Nevertheless, keep in mind that if disaster happens and you have to restore something, you will need to restore 1-year worth of backup chain from tapes.

Thanks.
Bunks
Novice

Post by Bunks »

thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Feel free to ask for further clarification, if required.
Bunks
Novice

Post by Bunks »

Vladimir

1 last question if you dont mind. Is there anything on the roadmap (i dont even know if its possible) to be able to do a file recovery direct from tape if the tape is a backup file to tape. I dont want to have to have 3 TB disk space free to restore the VBK from tape and then to use the windows file explorer in veeam on disk

thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We have a corresponding thread regarding that functionality, so, you can leave your voice there. Thanks.