Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mohammada
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mohammad Alam

Replication is Slow

Post by mohammada »

Hi Guys
We have just purchased Veeam Replication and Backup.The speed with Trial Version was ok though it was running on SAN storage .
Now we are implementing on our UAT environment and only getting 2-3/MB speed while replication . Here is my scenario.

Two IOMEGA ISCSI connected with separate HP Procurve Gigabit Switch with ESX Host.
Host - ESX - 4.0.0

Any reason why ? Can someone help me out .
Mohammad
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Replication is Slow

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Mohammad,

Could you please clarify whether you have used the same job modes for your production and test environment? Do you see reduced perfomance for the same VMs? I'm not a storage expert but could your source and target storage be one of the reasons for slow perfomance rates?

Thank you!
antivir
Enthusiast
Full Name: Andrew

Post by antivir »

I have 500 Gb VM.
Virtual Appliance Mode.
At the beginning of replication the speed is about 50 Mb/sec (first 100 Gb), then slower, slower, slower... In the middle the speed is about 20 Mb/sec, and at the and is about 18 Mb/sec.
VM has 452 Gb Used Space.
What is the problem?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Andrew,

Could the issue be connected to your destination storage that causes such a low speed at the end of the job? Have you tried changing your target? Do you see any changes after that?
mohammada
Influencer

Post by mohammada »

Hi Vitality
I have upgraded the Vmware Hardware to 7 and now all windows VM is having good speed .. say 80-120MB/s some time even 200MB/s :wink:
But I dont have any luck with Linux VM though I have upgraded the Hardware . Vmware tools is updated as well and still the same max 4MB/s speed . I have upgraded the VMXNET3 as well .

Both WIN and Linux VM is on same ESX host and ISCSI storage .

Any Thought what it could be ..

Also I was trying to test the Veeam backup and replication on ESXi and it says my Licence is not supported . Is there any seperate Licence to Buy or I need to upgrade my Licencne for ESXi use?
Mohammad
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Mohammad,

Thank you for updating the thread! Could you tell me please if you're choosing free or payed version of ESXi as a replication target? What version of Veeam Backup and Replication do you actually run?

As for your Linux VM, do you see 4 MB/s on the first run or the incremental pass? If you look at live statistics while Linux VM is being processed do you see change block tracking feature enabled for vmdk files?

Thank you!
antivir
Enthusiast
Full Name: Andrew

Post by antivir »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Andrew,

Could the issue be connected to your destination storage that causes such a low speed at the end of the job? Have you tried changing your target? Do you see any changes after that?
Configuration:
c7000, HP bl460c servers (2 CPU, 16 GB)
Test VM - 500 GB Thick disk, 453 GB used space in Vsphere client, 150 Gb used space in Windows 2003.
Source - EVA 4400 (FC 4 Gb/s)
Destination - MSA 1000 (FC 4 Gb/s) (destination in my previous post - HP DL185 iSCSI)
Virtual Appliance Mode.
Speed:
1. 5% - 60 MB/s
2. 17% (85 GB from 500) - 27 MB/s
The same result.

P.S. Updated: disk is thick, Veeam VM has 4 CPU and 2 GB memory.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Andrew,

It seems like the issue relates to that particular VM only, you may also try to use windows disk defragmenter tool on that VM and see if it causes any job performance changes. Anyway please contact our technical support team for assistance and don't forget to attach all the log files for investigation.
mohammada
Influencer

Post by mohammada »

Hi Vitaliy
Sorry for the Delay Responsing .. The backup Mode in that Linux VM was set to Network Replication and once I have chaged that to VMWARE vSTORAGE api ..The speed boosts to normal .

One the ESXi issue ..yes I am using Free version of ESXi as a Replication Target..

Mohammad
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Mohammad,

Glad that we've solved your speed issue. Actually only licensed versions of ESXi are supported by Veeam Backup and Replication, you cannot use ESXi free as a source/target for your backups/replicas.

Thank you!