Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aerialls
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Julien Brochet

Select specific interface for Backup Copy

Post by aerialls »

Hello!

We're using Veeam Backup & Replication 8 and we have a question regarding Backup Copy. For 2 proxies (and only those 2), we have an extended L2 between the two. We want to use this specific interface for Backup Copy. Can we specify for this backup copy job (or for all communications between the 2 proxies) to use this specific interface and not another?

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Select specific interface for Backup Copy

Post by foggy »

Julien, have you tried adding these servers to Veeam B&R console using the corresponding IP addresses?
aerialls
Novice

Post by aerialls »

Hello foggy!

Thanks for this quick response but we want to use this IP exclusively for the communications between the 2 proxies. It's a 1G private network without gateway. Our goal is to make Backup Copy faster.
aerialls
Novice

Post by aerialls »

And to be sure that i understand correctly, in the wizard, we configure the target repository. But how the data are written? It's directly the source proxy that write in the remote repository or Veeam choose the best remote proxy available?

#1 Source Repository -> Source Proxy -> Remote Proxy -> Remote Repository
#2 Source Repository -> Source Proxy -> Remote Repository

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Proxies are not involved in the backup copy process. Data is transferred directly between data movers installed on source and target repositories. How do you have your repository servers configured within Veeam B&R console (are those the same computers as proxy servers?)?

Probably this thread will give you some hints.
aerialls
Novice

Post by aerialls »

Hello foggy,

Thanks for the answer. I'm not sure that I understand. Our repositories are NFS shares. I saw in the documentation that "SMB share cannot host Veeam transport services. For this reason, data to the SMB share is written from a gateway server. By default, this role performs a backup proxy that is used by the job for data transport." So in our case, the data is transferred by a proxy with the NFS share mounted. Can we be sure of this proxy? I saw in the repository configuration a list of proxies. Does this list is the list of proxies that can be access the NFS share?

I saw the thread and in the end, "For proxy-to-repository traffic, you can specify preferred networks in v8:". I tried to specify in this interface the local subnet between the two proxies (10.10.143.0/30) but my test does not seem to work. Maybe another proxy was choosen by Veeam for the destination.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

aerialls wrote:Our repositories are NFS shares. I saw in the documentation that "SMB share cannot host Veeam transport services. For this reason, data to the SMB share is written from a gateway server. By default, this role performs a backup proxy that is used by the job for data transport." So in our case, the data is transferred by a proxy with the NFS share mounted. Can we be sure of this proxy?
Correct, in case you gateway servers are proxies, the data is transferred between data movers installed on them. You just didn't mention this initially, so my answer was somewhat generic.
aerialls wrote:I saw in the repository configuration a list of proxies. Does this list is the list of proxies that can be access the NFS share?
This is the list of all Windows servers added to Veeam B&R console, since you can choose any of them to serve as a gateway server.
aerialls
Novice

Post by aerialls »

Thanks for the updates!

In our case the backup copy is between two gateway servers (for nfs shares). Preferred networks does apply in this case? The 2 gateways are proxies in our situation. The preferred networks are only for backup processes no? We want to use our private network for the backup copies between the 2 gateways.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, preferred networks should apply.