Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
FredMez
Influencer
Liked: never

Veeam B&R deployment

Post by FredMez »

I am a new Veeam user and working on the appropriate deployment configuration. Here is our goals.

Prod Site - vcenter 5.1, ESX 5.1, NetApp, Veeam B&R physical server with local repository.

DR Site - physical server (exact same config as prod server), tape library, NetApp, seperate vcenter 5.1.

At the prod site, we want to backup the vm's to the Veeam server which hosts a local backup repository. This is working, not an issue. I then perform a backup copy to the DR server (DR repository) utilizing the WAN accelerator. No issue.

At the DR site, i want to maintain the vm's in case i need to mount to the DR vcenter. Here is the part i cannot figure out: We want to copy vm's to tape at this location. I have the tape library SAS connected to the veeam server.
Both servers are being managed by the B&R console at the prod site. I am not sure if this is correct because if we lose the prod site, how do i manage the backups in DR.
Lastly, the tape jobs that run, do not take the backups from the DR server, they transfer the data again over the WAN from the prod server. not good. i have tried several deployments and need someone with more knowledge than me.

That is why i opened a ticket with support, being a premier support customer, i thought it was the correct thing to do. So far it has been a week since i opened the ticket and nothing. i guess others on this forum are expressing similar frustrations.

Any input is welcomed. point be to any documentation that would help.

Thank you in advance,
Fred
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam B&R deployment

Post by veremin »

First of all, you need to update to version 8, if you haven't done it yet, as that version adds supports for both remote tape libraries and backup copy jobs as source for backup to tape jobs.

Then, you'll need to add remote server the tape library is attached to as tape server. After that, create a backup to tape job, selecting the backup copy job as its source.

If not going deep into the details, that's all you need to do.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam B&R deployment

Post by foggy »

And regarding protecting your Veeam B&R server, here's a topic with recommendations on how this is typically done, typically with the help of built-in configuration backup.