Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
storageguy
Expert
Liked: 13 times

Transport mode from Backup Proxy to Repository?

Post by storageguy »

Hi,

My Backup Proxy and Backup Repository are on the same physical server which has 15TB of local drives and has FC connections to our SAN storage. I noticed that the statistics shows that the bottleneck is on the Target. I'm wondering why is it when the Backup Repository is on the same server as the Backup Proxy? Does the data will go out from the Backup Proxy/Repository server and come back through the LAN to be finally written to the Backup Proxy/Repository server?

Any ideas?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Transport mode from Backup Proxy to Repository?

Post by foggy »

What are the full bottleneck stats? Please note, that some of the backup chain components is always the bottleneck, in every environment. Even if every part of the chain performs well, one of them is still makes others to wait (unless we're talking about ideal setup).
storageguy
Expert
Liked: 13 times

Post by storageguy »

I understand what you meant but my other question is, does the data will go out from the Backup Proxy/Repository server and come back through the LAN to be finally written to the Backup Proxy/Repository server? I noticed that our Proxy/Repository server network load is averaging at 83% utilization.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

When proxy and repository are on the same machine, the traffic you see it's created by the two components communicating to each other, but over the tcp/ip stack. no actual traffic goes in and out of the machine, but you see the traffic since as said the network stack is used anyway.
There is an experimental registry key you can try after you install v8 patch 1, to enable the communication over shared memory instead of network stack. See here:
http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-re ... ml#p130849

DataMoverLocalFastPath (DWORD) registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication, and set it to the following values:
0: Default behavior (no optimizations)
1: Data exchange through TCP socket on the loopback interface (faster)
2: Data exchange through shared memory (fastest)
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
danielchung
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel Chung

Post by danielchung »

I'm also having slow performance issue when the proxy and repository are on the same server. Knowing that the registry will help, but should I put the registry value on the Veeam management server or the proxy/repository server?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R management server.