Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Backerupper
Enthusiast
Liked: 24 times

SQL Log Truncation - Nothing but a Hail Mary?

Post by Backerupper »

I am one of the many struggling with the latest (apparently undocumented) changes to how SQL transaction logs are handled.

After noticing (the hard way) that logs were not being truncated properly, I contacted support (case 00749522) to determine why I was not notified of the failures only to be told:
"Again, Veeam will not report this. This is the way the product is designed. We've had customers contacting us in the past, asking that they would like us to include some feedback in the GUI about the logs truncation, and hopefully this will be done in next version of the product. But for now, all we do is sending the command, and if this is successful, the truncate logs action within the job indicates green."

I'm sorry but this is not even close to a reasonable answer here. So your telling me that with something so important, you are just 'sending the command' and hoping like heck that everything works out OK?

But it gets better - after going back and forth on whether Veeam is actually aware of the failure, I was told:
"The fact that the truncate logs action within the job indicates green is because Veeam was successful to send the command to your guest for the logs truncation. In case this fails, the GUI will not report it, but you will see Warnings or Failures in the VeeamVSSSupport logs, or the VeeamGuestHelper logs."

So I can dig around hundreds of log files on a daily basis cause Veeam is too lazy to bubble up the warning into the GUI? How can this be?
By changing the process to use a named account as opposed to using system, you must have known that this was going to bite many folks in the rear end.

Tell a DBA that we are doing nothing more than 'sending the command' and they will reply with a request for a new backup product...

Just for the record - I don't mind the new changes to the process. But the fact that Veeam is not reporting failures on such a critical function is a major fumble in my book.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: SQL Log Truncation - Nothing but a Hail Mary?

Post by foggy »

Backerupper wrote:I'm sorry but this is not even close to a reasonable answer here. So your telling me that with something so important, you are just 'sending the command' and hoping like heck that everything works out OK?
Thanks for the feedback, your frustration is completely understandable. However this was not specifically designed to be like that and warning is not logged in the job session in particular cases only (for example, with the base v8 release without patch 1 and SQL 2012 or 2014). Those are already addressed in the next patch.
Backerupper
Enthusiast
Liked: 24 times

Post by Backerupper »

Hi foggy - thanks for the reply, I'm glad this is being worked out. Yet another reason Patch 2 can't come quickly enough.

Just for the record, we are currently on Patch 1 and seeing this behavior across all SQL server editions.

Thanks again
sibinsam
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Sibin Sam

Post by sibinsam »

This behaviour is seen when truncating exchange logs too... case # 00810436. Will this also be addressed in the next patch?