Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
shadex12
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Evan Clancy

Restore Points and Backup Merge Performance

Post by shadex12 »

Good Morning All,

I have a quick questions regarding performance and backup merges using the Forever Forward Incremental backup method.

I have one client, who's backups spend a large amount of time merging the backup files. For example, one job backups up 300 GB in less than two hours and then spend up to 3 or 4 hours merging the backup file. These jobs, due to restrictions placed on them by the client, only retain two copies of the virtual machines.

Does having a small amount of restore points set for retention on a job, increase time needed to complete the merge, and therefore reduce backup performance? Will increasing the number of restore points retained make backup complete faster?

Thanks,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore Points and Backup Merge Performance

Post by foggy »

Evan, what kind of target storage we are talking about? The number of restore points doesn't affect merge duration, but the storage capability to provide high amount of random I/O does.
shadex12
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Evan Clancy

Post by shadex12 »

Target storage is a NAS box. It is connected by two link-AGed gigabit ports to the backup storage network used by Veeam.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Probably it is not capable of high random I/O load that transformation requires. You can also check the adjacent thread regarding similar issues and ask our technical support to confirm your setup and verify whether the I/O capabilities are indeed the cause of the issue.