Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jkettler
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Move Replica to New Target Host

Post by jkettler »

I'm trying to move a Hyper-VM from one replica host target to another. Can someone point me to the correct documentation?

Do I need to "Export" the current target VM via the Hyper-V Management Console and Import it to the new host, then map the replica to that newly imported VM?

Are the Veeam snapshot files moved as well? If not, where do I find those?

This is the closest thing I've found in the KB but it doesn't really cover it:
http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/h ... ng_hv.html

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Move Replica to New Target Host

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

You can either use native Hyper-V capabilities, or use VeeamZIP or another replication job to move your replicas to another host and then map your original replication jobs to the new destination.

Thanks!
jkettler
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by jkettler »

The Hyper-V export does not include the .vrb or .vbk files that Veeam created. It only includes the VM itself.

The last two suggestions seem to be the equivalent of a re-seed or full replication and the point of this is to avoid that. These two replica targets are at the co-location separated from the production VMs over a WAN link.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, vrb files are not known for Hyper-V since this is native Veeam format for the restore point files. For all new replication jobs starting from v7 we have switched to using checkpoints/snapshots as restore points, so import/export configuration should treat this situation correctly.

Last two options are not similar to full replication, you would be able to keep existing full backup, however all incrementals (vrb files) will not be re-used in the new replication job chain.