Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Clem58
Novice
Liked: never

Surebackup Exchange 2007 (vmware environnement)

Post by Clem58 »

Hello,

I've created a surebackup job in a vcenter virtual lab to restore my Exchange 2007 items, as veeam cannot do it by default ... But I want to start the surebackup VM's at a restore point that is on a tape backup, surebackup shows me only "vmware" backup and not tape ones, and tape backups are older.

How can I tell surebackup to restore at a tape backup point ?

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Surebackup Exchange 2007 (vmware environnement)

Post by veremin »

You should restore backup to a repository, either rescan repository or import backup manually, and create an application group, selecting VMs from the imported backups.

However, we do recommend verifying backups before they land on tapes. So, can you describe your situation in details? Is it a one time operation or you're going to conduct that on regular basis?

Thanks.
Clem58
Novice

Post by Clem58 »

I'm using Veeam B&R 7.

In fact I want to restore a mailbox folder a user has deleted since 1 month, that's exceptionnal and not very serious.

Yesterday, that was the first time I want to use a tape restore, I realised that we can't restore item as a "classic" Vmware restore, we have to restore whole backup to extract then the VM's, and the whole backup size is 900 Gb ! I'll take 8 hours to restore if I've enough space, to a local folder.

So it's not interesting to restore from tape backup, I'll use it only in emergency, cause it's no convenient. You have to make the tape restore feature as user friendly and quick as the vmware restore feature I think .. Like choosing the backup then mount the restored VM and restore items with explorer. Or for surebackup, mount a backuped VM on a lab ...

Dunno if Veeam B&R 8 can do that ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Dunno if Veeam B&R 8 can do that ?
Nope, VB&R 8 doesn't have this functionality. You can leave your vote in this thread, though. Thanks.
Clem58
Novice

Post by Clem58 »

Already done, btw thanks for your infos.