Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
chelcomike
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Allam

Looking at using Veeam for our backup system

Post by chelcomike »

Hi,

Im a network administrator to a small windows domain, we have 3 servers (Dell PowerEdge's) with approx 600gb of data spread across the 3, all the servers are currently running Windows 2003 and we currently backup just our files to USB HDD's which as you can imagine has an endless list of issues around it. We have a spare server with approx 110gb of storage space, I was looking at doing the following

1. Place the server offsite and link via VPN to our site here
2. Add storage (1.5-2tb) to the offsite server
3. Take 4 backup's each day and sync them automatically offsite.

In essence, I want to be able to take a snapshot of each of our servers, turn to a virtual machine and then store offsite via incremental backups (we have 2x 24mb/2.5mb lines each side so 5mb upload).

Can Veeam do this? what other software/hardware would I need and would this leave me in a position whereby I can fire up the spare server that's offsite and load my 3 'servers' virtualy?

Thanks
Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Looking at using Veeam for our backup system

Post by Gostev »

Hi Mike, and welcome to our forums. Your situation is quite typical, you will likely want to use RSYNC or DFS-R to sync backups off-site, RSYNC is what our customers typically use. You can find more discussions on scenarios similar to yours by searching for "rsync" on this forum.
chelcomike
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Allam

Post by chelcomike »

Hi,
Thank you for the swift reply, Im a little confused at how the overall structure would be? would veeam backup to a local storage device, rsync would then replicate offsite and then a second install of veeam on the offsite install?
Mike
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Correct. We also provide standalone recovery utility that does not require installing Veeam Backup to restore VM files from VBK (latest state only), so second install in DR site is optional. You only need it if you want to perform restores easily from UI; leverage all 3 restore types we provide (entire VM with registration, VM files, and guest OS files); and do restores from any point in time (not just the latest state).