Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
JJR
Lurker
Liked: never

New installation

Post by JJR »

I have a mixture of 6 Server 2008 R2 and 1 Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V cluster, all managed through SCVMM. The Server 2008 R2 clusters are backed up using Commvault V9, but this version does not support Hyper-V backup on Server 2012 and we are not going to upgrade, so I'd like to evaluate Veeam for just the Server 2012 R2 cluster.

In the installation guide at http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/h ... _type.html, it has the following section
At the Type step of the wizard, select the type of server you want to add.

▪Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM). Select this option if you are using SCVMM to manage several Hyper-V hosts. Veeam Backup & Replication will pull information about Hyper-V hosts and clusters managed by SCVMM and add them to the list of managed servers as part of the SCVMM hierarchy.

▪Microsoft Hyper-V cluster. Select this option if you want to add a Hyper-V cluster not managed by SCVMM.

▪Microsoft Hyper-V server (standalone). Select this option to add a standalone Hyper-V host that is not a part of a Hyper-V cluster and is not managed by SCVMM.
I'd like to choose "Microsoft Hyper-V cluster", even though my cluster is managed by SCVMM. I'd rather not have components anywhere other than on the specific cluster I need to backup. I'd just like to make sure that the presence of SCVMM doesn't mean that I'm required to choose the SCVMM server type before proceeding.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: New installation

Post by foggy »

You're not required to choose the SCVMM server, you can even add hosts as standalone. Adding them via cluster or SCVMM makes Veeam B&R aware of VM migrations, for example.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Re: New installation

Post by nefes »

Please be aware, that all temporary VMs (for example, Instant Recovery and SureBackup ones) are cleaned up only from the level Veeam is aware of.
So adding cluster in your case and utilizing such features will lead to lots of "orphaned" VMs in SCVMM, that are not present at cluster level.
If I were you, I'd better add SCVMM and de-select hosts/clusters, that does not need to be protected by Veeam.