Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JailBreak
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Luciano Patrao

Backup to TAPE Library

Post by JailBreak »

Hi

I have tested this product in a test environment, and i think this what i need to my costumer to backup the 2 ESX Server

But i have on question about backup the VMs directly to the TAPE

Is this possible?

I have the TAPE attached to my Virtual Center Server, where i plan to install the Veam Backup, can i backup directly to the TAPE?

I need to backup my ESX Servers to backup all the VMs in th Storage to the TAPE Library. And need to recover from the TAPE also, to the Storage

My costumer TAPE library is a DELL ML6000. Is there any issued in this type of configuration?

I plan to recommend this product to my costumer, but if this is not possible, then i cannot recommend this

Many thanks

Jail
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello, Veeam Backup does not support backing up directly to tape at the moment.
The upcoming version will have ability to automatically launch a script to copy the produced backup to tape, as soon as backup is completed.
JailBreak
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Luciano Patrao

Post by JailBreak »

Hi

Thank you for your reply

Is this the new version that is available?? Or the beta version?

Is this script automatic and provided by the Veam Backup, or do we have to create?

Thank you again

Jail
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hello, we plan to have the public beta shortly. You will receive email notification on your registration email when the beta is available.

Since scripts would vary depending on hardware, we could not provide a generic one good for all existing TL. But usually hardware vendors provide sample scripts to ensure simple integration of their hardware with other applications, so we hope this would not be a problem. Most customers are already using such scripts anyway (to backup other applications' data).

Anyway, depending on the feedback, we may consider creating our own script database for our customers to use.
seniktun
Novice
Liked: never

Post by seniktun »

Hi JailBreak
Why donÒ‘t you ust use the backup program provided by the Windows operating system? At least thatÒ‘s what I do.
hacktest
Lurker

Post by hacktest »

seniktun, what do you mean?
seniktun
Novice

Post by seniktun »

What I mean is that if you like your virtual machine files to tape I suggest that you connect the tape drive to the Veeam Backup server and then backup the local machine using the backup program provided by the Microsoft operating system. Or use another backupserver with a tapedrive to remotely backup the Veeam Backup server. But If you are running Veeam Backup on a virtual machine then I suggest that you either connect the tapedrive to the ESX server and then mount it to the vm. But I would not recommend you using a vm as a backup server. I hope I made it clear what I ment.
seniktun
Novice

Post by seniktun »

I think I need to add some more to this. If the issue is that the VC or Veeam Backup Server does not have enough diskspace for backing the vms to disk I quess youÒ‘ll have to buy additional storage to the Veeam Backup server.
rgelacio
Lurker
Full Name: Roque Gelacio

Re: Backup to TAPE Library

Post by rgelacio »

Hi All,

Allow me to join this thread and I do share the same dillema right now with my test environment. I would really like to back it up straight to TL's but I am having difficulty to do this. I am using an HP MSL8096 TL in my infrastructure and would be very happy to utilize the LTO-4 capacity in my backup.

Gostev, when would be this feature available in the Backup and Replication? Is it out already?

Thanks.
Roque
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Roque, the functionality I am talking about above was available since Veeam Backup 2.0 (which was released mid-2008).
rgelacio
Lurker
Full Name: Roque Gelacio

Post by rgelacio »

Gostev wrote:Hi Roque, the functionality I am talking about above was available since Veeam Backup 2.0 (which was released mid-2008).
Thanks for the response Gostev, I am referring to the script that you mentioned below on one of your responses. I think this feature will add value on the product and would help us (administrators) make our lives easy and worry free :)

The upcoming version will have ability to automatically launch a script to copy the produced backup to tape, as soon as backup is completed.

Best regards.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Roque, the script depends on what product (e.g. ArcServe) you are using for tape backups. We have script commands documented for some but not all tape backup products. You can contact our support to see if we have one for your product