Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
VenoX
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: L33t rul0r

Disk Space Veeam Cache

Post by VenoX »

Hello together,

I am wondering regarding my configuration and the needed Disk space for the cache:

I have 1,5 TB Disk on my primary site, holding the cache. Cache is set to 700GB in the primary site.

First i set the disk size to 1TB - Veeam filled it up. now i´ve set 1.5 TB and veeam filled it up.

Looks like a Bug to me?

cheers,
Manuel
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Disk Space Veeam Cache

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Manuel,

Why do you believe it is a bug? Cache size will always be populated with data, and once the limit is reached the oldest (rarely used) data will replaced with most commonly seen data blocks.

Thanks!
VenoX
Influencer

Post by VenoX »

Because i have set the Cache to 700GB - and backup copy jobs fail because of no disk space in Global Cache.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I'm wondering what product version you're currently at. Thanks.
VenoX
Influencer

Post by VenoX »

V8 with newest Patch

BR
Manuel
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

There might be some overhead involved, but global cache should not eat double of its size. So, please open a ticket with our support team and let them investigate it directly. Thanks.
VenoX
Influencer

Post by VenoX »

ok,
this is done - Case 00804762 :o
lennis40
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by lennis40 »

Same problem here. Not as big of cache, but set cache size to 300GB, and it went well over that and filled the entire hard drive. Case #00814072.

I see that in many to one, the size of the target cache is used for each source wan, so if I set to say 40GB, and have 5 source wan machines, then they will each have 40GB assigned to them, for a total of 200GB.

I also have data on the cloud repository, but my pre-populate doesn't find any known OS's. I imagine an alternative method would be to copy the globalcache trg folder from source to uSB and then to globalcache trg location on target?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yep, you can seed the target cache by running the backup copy job locally and then copying the GlobalCache\trg folder to the remote target WAN accelerator machine (make sure to preserve the path and restart the Veeam WAN Accelerator Service).
VenoX
Influencer

Post by VenoX »

This is not a problem, the cache keeps filling up - meanwhile no worhtful response from technical support - its a big dissapointment how unprofessional support works.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Whenever you're not satisfied with the level of support provided, you can escalated the case to the higher support engineer using the Talk to a Manager button on the customer support portal. Thanks.
VenoX
Influencer

Post by VenoX »

OK,
thank you - i am currently trying to reduce the cache size and see what happens - regarding to the posts above my last.

cheers,
Manuel
lennis40
Expert

Post by lennis40 » 1 person likes this post

I was able to get our WAN job working by clearing the cache on each side, and then running again. Of course, doing this will make the first run of the copy job a lot longer as it rebuilds the cache, but the second go around was very quick. I did end up resetting the cache size on the target before doing this to 40GB.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Did that work for you. I started the same way as you did without any usefull comment/tip from support. And thus still using a cache of 1.5Tb....
lennis40
Expert

Post by lennis40 »

Lex wrote:Did that work for you. I started the same way as you did without any usefull comment/tip from support. And thus still using a cache of 1.5Tb....

Yes, it did work for us. For the last few days anyway. If anything changes, or I see the same behavior as before, I will certainly make a note on this thread.