Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
davidkillingsworth
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

After upgrade to 8 many jobs don't prune.

Post by davidkillingsworth »

Hi,

I was wondering if there were any changes to pruning in Veeam 8. We have limited disk space at some customers sites, and we typically will keep 14 or 21 days of backups on disk, and 1 copy for full monthly backups. This was all working fine in Veeam 7.

After version 8, I have had to manually go in and prune older backups so that jobs will run.

Is there anything I should configure differently?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: After upgrade to 8 many jobs don't prune.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Do you use forward or reversed incremental backup mode?

Thanks!
davidkillingsworth
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Post by davidkillingsworth »

For the full monthly, I only want to keep 1 full copy on disk. It is currently set as reverse incremental and takes a full active backup.

I'm guessing that I should set this a forward incremental so that the pruning works properly and effectively takes a full backup every first Saturday of the month.

If I use forward incremental and have the create "synthetic full" on Saturdays. What happens when I also take an active full backup on Saturdays? What's the difference between a synthetic full and an active full and what happens if I do not and do have the active full backup setting enabled?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you're using reversed incremental backup mode, then nothing has changed in v8. If you run your job daily, then you will have either 14 or 21 restore points available on disk (according to your retention policy settings). Switching to forever incremental mode is not needed here.
davidkillingsworth wrote:If I use forward incremental and have the create "synthetic full" on Saturdays.
Running synthetic backups on weekly basis is no longer required. Please take a look at how forever incremental backup mode works > Forever Forward Incremental Backup
davidkillingsworth wrote:What happens when I also take an active full backup on Saturdays?
In this case synthetic backup will not be triggered.
davidkillingsworth wrote:What's the difference between a synthetic full and an active full and what happens if I do not and do have the active full backup setting enabled?
Please take a look at this link for more info > Active and Synthetic Full Backups