Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Agent Fred
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alfred Fuchs

Restore from 3rd party application tape

Post by Agent Fred »

Hi support,

I've recently upgraded to B&R V 8.0.0.917. I have done some tests with backup files to tape (IBM TS2340) and found it very useful. In principle there is everythink I need, except of one thing.
So far I used Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 to write files to tape. Retention policy says that it is necessary to be able to restore files from old tapes up to 10 or more years. So I hoped it will be possible to catalog the old Backup Exec tapes. I'm quite sure BE 12.5 uses MTF-format. But when trying to catalog these tapes I get the message "Unknown MTF writer". I have already installed the patch from KB1967 but still same problem.

Will B&R ever become able to restore files from Symantec Backup Exec or is there any other resolution? Without this option B&R will not be able to replace such unloved third party applications in companies with a retention policy (and I think almost every company has a retention policy).

Regards
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Restore from 3rd party application tape

Post by veremin »

The tapes written by 3-party applications, such as Symantec or similar, cannot be restored by VB&R. You can have cold Symantec console at hand in case you'll need to restore data from old mediums.