Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
rpctech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Robin Matthews

Co-exist with Windows Backup?

Post by rpctech »

I have a machine that's been using Windows Backup (the built-in one) for years.
I'd like to give it extra protection, and Veeam Endpoint Backup seems like the obvious choice.

It seems as though Endpoint Backup uses an SQL database - presumably to track file changes? My concern is that historically, running two backup products has caused problems because of archive bits being relied upon and causing issues from the second backup product when they're changed by the first. I also have no idea if this would cause VSS snapshot issues (my knowledge of how VSS is used is pretty limited).

What I'd ideally like to do is keep the Windows Backup running, and just install Veeam Endpoint Backup and get that running too.
I'm planning to use a different external drive for Veeam, and run it at a different time.

Will that work, or will it cause chaos?
Thanks very much in advance!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Co-exist with Windows Backup?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Robin,

Well to be honest I have not faced any issues so far, but yes, it could cause some disturbance if machine is backed up by both at the same time, exactly because of the VSS snapshot being created and locked by first application before another. With Endpoint it will retry the failed backup in case of any issues, but I don’t know how windows built in backup will react.

In addition, I do not use the scheduled backup for windows, but I have it enabled for events like updates of the OS and so on and of course, I have Endpoint on board – no problems so far.

From the top of my head if the backup schedule of both solutions do not interfere with each other, let’s say one is started in the morning and another in the evening – you are good to go.
rpctech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Robin Matthews

Post by rpctech »

OK great. I might wait for the RC version to be released before installing (I have the beta on a different PC and it seems to be working fine!)
Thanks for getting back to me :-)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Robin,
You are good to go - RC build is now available.