Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Dave-Departed
Expert
Liked: 6 times

U-AIR v8 - How to access lab files from production network?

Post by Dave-Departed »

Hi All,

Got cause to restore a file from a FreeNAS VM running FTP services that's being backed up via Veeam.

Never used FLR before on anything other than Windows, so hit a snag when we realised that ZFS wasn't supported by Veeam, and so the 'normal' FLR method was no use to us... So I read that U-AIR was the next best way to go!

So I fired up the U-AIR wizard, which submits a lab request (I had to go away and create a new vLab, App Group and SureBackup job to be able to finish the vLab approval request), and after approving the vLab request, I see that indeed, the FreeNAS FTP box is up and running within the vLab.

Now, all the blurb says that via U-AIR/vLab, we can contact this restored VM from the production network... How on earth do I do this, please?? Can't find any instructions on it anywhere, and I have a boss breathing down my neck because I told him file restores were easy as pie with Veeam (normally the case)!

Thanks in advance

Dave
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: U-AIR v8 - How to access lab files from production netwo

Post by veremin »

What ZFS version you're using? I'm wondering because Guest OS File Recovery supports ZFS except Solaris proprietary versions. Thanks.
Dave-Departed
Expert

Post by Dave-Departed »

Whatever version is on FreeNAS v9 :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

FreeNAS doesn't seem to run Solaris proprietary versions of ZFS, so can you try to restore those files, using Other OS FLR?
Dave-Departed
Expert

Post by Dave-Departed »

Other OS FLR is what I initially tried... That's what gives me the 'Unsupported File System' message :( I'll upload a screenshot shortly.
Dave-Departed
Expert

Post by Dave-Departed »

Here's a screenshot of what I see when I run the Other OS FLR wizard...

http://bit.ly/1DYNc04

Many thanks

Dave
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Dave-Departed wrote:Here's a screenshot of what I see when I run the Other OS FLR wizard...

http://bit.ly/1DYNc04
What happens when you try to expand the node that says ZFS? It doesn't completely surprise me that there we be some partitions that we don't recognize, but it looks like we found a ZFS volume as well.
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

BTW, to answer you other question, there are a couple of ways to access the lab from the production network. Probably the easiest is to do it directly from the Veeam server by access the vLab NAT address. For example, when you configured the vLab you had to select a NAT address, typically something like 192.168.255.x.

So, for example, if your FreeNAS is normally 192.168.1.25 and you select 192.168.255.x as the NAT network for the 192.168.1.x production network, then, once you bring up the machine in the vLab, you should be able to access it from the Veeam server by using 192.168.255.25. So you could potentially try \\192.168.255.25\<sharename>.
Dave-Departed
Expert

Post by Dave-Departed »

tsightler wrote: What happens when you try to expand the node that says ZFS? It doesn't completely surprise me that there we be some partitions that we don't recognize, but it looks like we found a ZFS volume as well.
It says:

Cannot import <disk name> unsupported version or feature This pool uses the following feature(s) not supported by this system com.delphixhole_birth

If I right-click on the ZFS disk, I get options for Copy To or Restore.
tsightler
VP, Product Management

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

Dave-Departed wrote:Cannot import <disk name> unsupported version or feature This pool uses the following feature(s) not supported by this system com.delphixhole_birth
Ah, that's good information, at least now we know specifically what XFS feature is keeping it from mounting, hole_birth. Our OtherOS FLR is based on Linux and I don't think ZFS on Linux has support for the hole_birth feature unless it's been added in the last few months. Obviously the version on our FLR appliance doesn't have it.