Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
RWeiss
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

VM Memory always 100%

Post by RWeiss »

Hi there,

We have been using Veeam B&R for quite some time now and are not in the process of testing and integrating Veeam ONE (v8 Patch 1).
One issue we have is that the Memory Usage of VMs is stuck at 100% and does not show up correctly. In addition in one instance, it reports wrong values for the total memory available (shows up as 55GB, but in reality it's over 160GB). I remember that it once worked without any issue with Veeam ONE 7.

Does anyone have an idea what's up?

I'm not sure whether I need to open a ticket for this (if this is the case, I will add my case ID as soon as the ticket is open).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VM Memory always 100%

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello, are you using vSphere or Hyper-V?
RWeiss
Enthusiast

Post by RWeiss »

Oh I'm sorry, I completely forgot to mention this: Hyper-V
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

And let me do another guess it's VM with static memory, right? ;) The reason why it always shows 100% of usage is that Hyper-V does not expose any data (via API) for VM memory usage when static memory is set. By default, these VMs consume all memory you've allocated to them.
RWeiss
Enthusiast

Post by RWeiss »

Yes, it's static. But I was under the assumption that Veeam One is able to show how much memory is actually consumed inside the VM? Because like this, Veeam ONE is kinda useless for us (we need to know how much RAM our VMs are actually consuming). This is too bad! :(
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Veeam ONE can show it for VMs with dynamic memory, for VMs with static memory Microsoft does not have any APIs for that. Do you have any special reason for using static memory?
RWeiss
Enthusiast

Post by RWeiss »

So if I understand correctly, Veeam would simply tell me (if using dynamic memory) how much RAM the VM uses on the Host?
The reason we use static memory is because we/Hyper-V had difficulties in the past to increase or decrease memory correctly which lead to performance issues.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

With dynamic memory being used you will have these views for your VMs > http://helpcenter.veeam.com/one/80/hype ... mmary.html
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

RWeiss,
Based on statistics of RAM usage for each VM you can find out the best RAM sizes for those VMs. I would also suggest to provide sufficient Minimum RAM for the applications in use for VMs with dynamic memory to avoid performance issues.
By the way, in upcoming major versions we are planning to add corresponding Veeam One optimization reports.
Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi RWeiss,
Veeam ONE v9 has been released today, and it contains a number of useful reports we were talking about in the thread, such as Oversized VMs(Hyper-V).
Enjoy new release with its great features!