Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
spock
Novice
Liked: never

Backup Copy Files

Post by spock »

Hello All,

After incremental backups and files are copied to the target repository via Backup Copy and are processed, there are file extensions such as .vbk, .vib, etc. , but there is a "***_W.VBK" that I'm unfamiliar with. Can anyone tell me what kind of file this is? I'm assuming it's a weekly .vbk, but the dates of these files do not correspond to the restore points, so I'm not sure. Also, can these files be deleted if they look older and out of my retention range?

Thanks in advance!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Copy Files

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Do you use GFS or simple retention policy for your backup copy job? Also how many restore points do you see in the restore wizard?

Thank you!
spock
Novice

Post by spock »

Hi Vitaliy,

Yes, I do use GFS retention policies. I show 15 restore points from the wizard. My configuration is 14 restore points, 8 weekly, 12 monthly, 1 year.

Thanks Much
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

As far as I remember this format corresponds to the weekly full. How many backup files (VBKs) you have?
spock
Novice

Post by spock »

I have 9 .vbk files, but 7 of them are **_W.vbk. There are also 14 .vib files, which makes sense if I specified 14 restore points in my configuration. The dates of some of the **_W.vbk files look older and do not reflect the dates of the weekly fulls so I don't know if they're of use and whether I can remove them. Also, there are only 3 weekly fulls displayed in the restore wizard. Should the number of .vbks correspond to the number of weekly fulls?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

spock wrote:The dates of some of the **_W.vbk files look older and do not reflect the dates of the weekly fulls so I don't know if they're of use and whether I can remove them.
GFS restore point is not necessarily created at the day it is scheduled at, depending on the schedule, the nearest full backup file created within the next synchronization interval is sometimes selected.
spock wrote:Should the number of .vbks correspond to the number of weekly fulls?
Again, it depends on the actual schedule of your GFS restore points (weekly, monthly, yearly..). A single VBK file can be marked both as weekly and monthly, for example.

I recommend contacting support to review your settings and verify whether what you have on disk meets them. Hard to do this via forum posts.
spock
Novice

Post by spock »

Hi Foggy,

I didn't think this was a support question and didn't want to burden them further, so I posed these questions to the forum.

Is the **_W.vbk a weekly set? I can't find any documentation of what this is.

It's confusing if a single .vbk can be weekly and monthly. I would have thought it would be consistent with how the backup files are.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Is the **_W.vbk a weekly set?
Correct.
It's confusing if a single .vbk can be weekly and monthly.
It happens if days chosen for weekly and monthly GFS coincide.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

v.Eremin wrote: It happens if days chosen for weekly and monthly GFS coincide.
And in this case VBK file will get only superior period designation (e.g. if the point is both weekly and monthly, you will see just the "_M" index in the file name).
spock
Novice

Post by spock »

Thanks Much for all of your help!