Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
KelKnowles
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kelly Michael Knowles

Wanted: Compress Backup Files

Post by KelKnowles »

I know that there is an option in backup copy to perform a periodic compression of the .vbk file. I was unable to find a corresponding way to do this with a forever-forward incremental file for a backup job. I would love to find a way to periodically rebuild the .vbk without running an active full. Is there perhaps a way to do this through a command line API? If not, I would like to request that compression of .vbk files be available as an option for normal backups instead of just back copies.
Kelly Knowles
Principal Systems Architect at PNJ Technology Partners
Veeam Certified Architect and Veeam Certified Engineer - Advanced: Design & Optimization
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Wanted: Compress Backup Files

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Kelly,

Backup files are always compressed in the backup copy jobs, do you probably refer to the compact option?

As to regular backup jobs, then backup files are also using the compression level you have defined. If want to rebuild VBK file periodically, then you can use synthetic full backup setting (instead of active fulls).

Thanks!
KelKnowles
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Kelly Michael Knowles

Post by KelKnowles »

Yes I was referring to compact. Ideally for people who run forever forward incremental it can't really be forever forward without some sort of maintenance to reduce the fragmentation.
Kelly Knowles
Principal Systems Architect at PNJ Technology Partners
Veeam Certified Architect and Veeam Certified Engineer - Advanced: Design & Optimization
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev » 3 people like this post

I am hoping to add compact to primary backup jobs in the next release.