Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rizks_2000
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Anthony Rizk

File Size on Target - Smaller

Post by rizks_2000 »

when I perform a simple Veeam replica job, is it normal that my VMDK files are the not the same size as my source VMDK files? Is it compressing/shrinking those during the replication process?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: File Size on Target - Smaller

Post by Gostev »

No compression, but it expands thin disks into thick with the current version... how do you compare sizes?
rizks_2000
Enthusiast

Post by rizks_2000 »

I'm looking at the source VMDK file by browsing my datastore and notating the size and then looking at the replica VMDK file on my target datastore by browsing the datastore. I'm doing all of this through my VI client. I did call and talk to tech support. They told me if I have a 40GB vmdk file with not much data on the disk, then it does't copy the "white/blank" space over during the replication process hence the smaller VMDK file on the target end. Sound correct?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Empty blocks are not copied over the network, but both source and target VMDKs should have the same size still. Please try to compare VMDK file sizes by drilling down to them in the Veeam Backup "Servers" tree.
rizks_2000
Enthusiast

Post by rizks_2000 »

Am not seeing that. Where should I be looking from my Veeam GUI interface? What I'm seeing is Veeam Backup and FAST SCP and then under that I see Jobs, Backups, Replicas, and Sessions. Have jobs under Jobs, nothing under Backups, quite a bit under Replicas, and some entries under Sessions. :?
rizks_2000
Enthusiast

Post by rizks_2000 »

Ok...I see it now....yeah, they match. Wonder why they wouldn't match when comparing files through browsing the datastores from my VI Client?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Not sure about how VI client calculates size... we show actual file size, as it is on the datastore.
rizks_2000
Enthusiast

Post by rizks_2000 »

Seems odd though that the VI Client wouldn't show the same. Thanks for your responses.