Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: qq

Multiple backup of the same VM

Post by 20100 »

Hi

Running V8 SP1
We have a daily backup consisting of 20 VM. It is set as a reversal incremental.
The backup is followed by a tape copy
The backup runs Monday to Friday.

We found that some VM needs also to be backup on Saturday and Sunday. However we do not want them on tape

If we create a separate backup job for these VM to be performed during the week-end, what will happen to the next Monday daily backup?
My guess is that incremental will be between the Monday and Sunday for these VM because of CBT changes, and that will not be good as the reversal will not be accurate as it probably will compare from last Friday's

Is there a way to disable the tape job for specific days?
I noticed you can choose the days it will run or not in the schedule, however the job is set to run automatically after the (disk) backup is completed.
If that works, we need to make sure if will not copy the 3 backup jobs on Monday!

Let me know the best way to achieve this. Thanks in advance

On a separate note, but on similar topic:
One of our VM in the daily backup is the file server. We are thinking of performing extra backup every 2 hours during working hours during the week.
If we create this separate job, what is the impact of the daily job. When the VM is backed-up at night time, what changes are backup-ed? the one from the last daily backup or the one from the last 2-hourly backup?

is it possible to have both backups and have "consistent" data if we need to restore from either set?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Multiple backup of the same VM

Post by Gostev »

Hi, CBT is not impacted by multiple backups (this is covered in the sticky FAQ topic). So, you can backup any VM with any amount of jobs. Thanks!
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: qq

Re: Multiple backup of the same VM

Post by 20100 »

Thanks. I will implement the separate jobs. That looks the best way for i!