Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Andy C
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Crumpton

How to Backup and Restore from USB

Post by Andy C »

I appologise if this has already been asked and answered but I had a quick look and couldn't find much.

I have a setup of 5-10 PCs with Endpoint Backup installed. I have taken an adhoc backup of each PC as a restore point in case the PC becomes faulty and needs to be re installed.

When I installed Endpoint I was prompted to create a bootable media. I have done this on a USB key and the key now contains the folders boot, efi, sources and bootmgr. Is this a generic bootable device or are the files specific to the PC it was created on?

If it is generic and it will get you to the recovery screen on any machine how do I select which backup to use, do I have to copy it onto the same USB device or a different one?

If I ever lost or overwrite this USB recovery media how do I create another? If I follow the Create Recovery Media it just creates a VeeamRE.iso file?

Thanks.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: How to Backup and Restore from USB

Post by nielsengelen »

When doing a recovery you can point to which backup file you want to use. This can be on an external drive, a network share or a Veeam Backup & Replication repository.

You can recreate an USB disk by going into the installation folder (C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup) and run Veeam.Endpoint.RecoveryMedia.exe again.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
Andy C
Influencer

Post by Andy C »

Thanks Niels. Do you know why it wont create the recovery USB on a 1GB drive even though its only 358MB when created on something larger.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Probably because we cannot know beforehand how big it will end up with all the drives included (those can take A LOT of space), and thus require certain minimum size based on our testing.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Andrew,
Is this a generic bootable device or are the files specific to the PC it was created on?
It keeps the current PC drivers, thats all.
If it is generic and it will get you to the recovery screen on any machine how do I select which backup to use, do I have to copy it onto the same USB device or a different one?
Yes, you can if you have similar hardware and operating systems on all your machines (or you can include additional drivers while creating the recovery media). The recovery media relies on the windows recovery environment components, which are almost identical in all OSs, driver versions can be different – so it’s recommended to have a recovery media per operating system in your environment.

Wanted to clarify, you used 1GB USB stick for recreating recovery media, right? Could you, please, format it and check again without including additional drivers and let me know the result. Thank you.
Andy C
Influencer

Post by Andy C »

Thanks Anton and Dmitry.

Dmitry - I have tried to create the recovery media again on the formatted 1GB USB and selected the option not to include the drivers and it returns the error:

"Failed to create recovery media: Unknown exception. Error code 1920"
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Andrew,
Could you submit a case please? I was told by QA we have fixed this behavior – need to check your recovery media log files. Thanks you in advance.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Andrew,
…and could you please confirm that you are using the new RC built instead of the old BETA?