Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ceez
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Cesar

Does backup encryption prevent crypto from encrypting bkup?

Post by ceez »

hi everyone,
if you havent heard there's a new crypto version in town called cryptofortress. this one will just find any share on your network and encrypt....the network drives dont have to be mapped to the infected host.
so with this comes the worry of getting infected and catching my backups which are no mapped to any other host other than the veeam backup server.

I know that the new version of b&r has encryption, would encrypting my bkup jobs prevent crypto from encrypting them? I assume that you can't write over a file that's already encrypted but it's good to find out.

thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Does backup encryption prevent crypto from encrypting bk

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Cesar,

Encryption does not prevent 3rd party malware tools or viruses from corrupting backup files data. Proper antivirus tools are still required. If you want to minimize the chance of losing all your data, I would suggest doing backup copies to an offsite location, or a Cloud Connect provider.

Thanks!
jazzoberoi
Enthusiast
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Jazz Oberoi

Post by jazzoberoi »

It may help to keep copies in NFS shares with host level write protection ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If the above mentioned malware can't access it, then this could be a temp solution.
ceez
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Cesar

Post by ceez »

So encryption at the moment would prevent unauthorized users from restoring the information.

I would also assume that since a file is encrypted that crypto wouldn't be able to "re-encrypt" it since the file is already encrypted.

thanks everyone.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well.. the process should be similar to zipping files twice, no one prevents you from doing it.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1931 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

If by "crypto" you mean cryptolocker and such ransom tools, no even our encryption cannot keep them out. As Vitaliy said, anyone can encrypt multiple times the same file.
What you can do to protect backup files is to keep at least some copies of them offline. Being it copies to a removable device (tape, usb drive) and PHYSICALLY remove the device from the environment, or another solution is to have a secondary storage in the network running windows or linux, that have read access to the original repository, but it's NOT accessible from this (no domain join, different credentials). Using such a configuration, you can create copy script in this device to create secondary copies of your backup files, but even if infected the primary Veeam device will not be able to access this secondary one. In this way backup files will still be "online" in a way, but not readable and most of all modifiable from the rest of the network.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1