Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Hot add not working?

Post by danswartz »

Veeam B&R 7.0. Vsphere 5.5. I've got a number of VMs, some windows, some linux, some freebsd. I've been using NBD mode with no issues at all. I decided to try hotadd, since I have a new windows server 2008 r2 VM to use as the backup proxy. The bad news: none of the vms work with hot add. All of them result in log messages in B&R about 'hot add not supported for this disk'. I did run through the steps enumerated in KB 1184, and they all work fine (before hot-removing the existing disk from the proxy VM, I went into Disk Management tool and confirmed vdisk was there and online. I created a new job with only that one VM to minimuze the log size, but there's still a ton of files to look through. Any hints would be appreciated. This isn't a showstopper, so I don't want to waste veeam's time with a support ticket - just curious as to what might be going on...)
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1181 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Re: Hot add not working?

Post by nielsengelen »

Opening a case will give more insight in the logs.

Did you also look at http://www.veeam.com/kb1054 (it's an older KB but also has some additional info which may cause the issue).
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

That's annoying. I had forgotten that I had let my support lapse. I have requested a quote for renewal. In the meantime, I did check all the requirements, and they seem to be satisfied. Very odd...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can review this thread talking about similar issue; might be helpful. Also, check whether those disk are SCSI ones, not IDE.
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

It's a mystery. None of the VMs are working with hot-add. I have double and triple checked all the KB info and all the criteria are met... I saw a message in the logs about a hot add mutex being locked. Dunno if that's relevant or not...
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Does manual hot add conducted outside of VB&R work fine?
danswartz
Veteran

Post by danswartz »

yup. as per directions in KB1184.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hmm, logs' investigation might shed some on the experienced behaviour. So, it might be worth opening a ticket with our support team.