Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
mbreitba
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

VEB recovery to VMware

Post by mbreitba »

I'm curious about the magic that is done in the recovery CD that allows backups to be recovered to dissimilar hardware. I'm attempting to recover to a VMware environment and love the idea of just dumping a VMDK back into my environment and then mounting it to a VM. I've tried that, and failed miserably (as it seems others have). I've also used the recovery ISO to successfully recover a backup into a VM but it's tedious and I don't think a scaleable option for P2V recovery. I know that isn't where this product is targeted, but it seems like it's a no-brainer for future development.

Has anyone successfully been able to recover a full-system backup to a VMDK, and then power it on in VMware with no major modifications?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: VEB recovery to VMware

Post by Gostev »

Funny you should ask, as we were just able to do this with Azure, basically just for fun - we did an export to VHD, then copied VHD to Azure, attached to a VM, powered on... and it worked. We were actually quite shocked, as this was totally unexpected. However, keep in mind that this was a very basic Windows desktop with stock Windows drivers, which perhaps contributed to a success.

Generally speaking, you can expect anything like this to fail in over 90% of cases, because each Windows installation has extremely deep tie-ups into hardware via drivers, and can only survive certain type of hardware changes automatically (and only a few at a time). But since in case of going to a hypervisor, virtually every hardware changes (pun intended), in vast majority of cases Windows will simply refuse to boot due to those rivers brought from physical system screwing everything up.
mbreitba
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Re: VEB recovery to VMware

Post by mbreitba »

I kinda figured that was the case. Just for grins I'm going to try installing VMware tools on my laptop _prior_ to the backup and see if it'll not completely die when I export as a VMDK. I don't have a lot of confidence in that, but figured I'd give it a shot.