Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
braman1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: braman1

Bottleneck = source

Post by braman1 »

Hello everyone.

I'm looking for some assistance on troubleshooting where to look when it comes to backup bottlenecks. I've had the same bottleneck (source) for sometime and I now have time to research what the root cause of the issue might be. I'm running VBR v6 on a VM. I have three hosts. Host A and Host B are in production and Host C runs VBR. I backup all the VM's on Host A and B. All the Hosts are connected via iSCSI to my SAN.

Where do I start to look for the "source" bottleneck?

Thanks,

Matt
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Bottleneck = source

Post by foggy »

Hi Matt, that means that the speed of VM data retrieval from the source storage is bottleneck, you should start from looking at what transport mode is used to get the data.
braman1
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: braman1

Post by braman1 »

Thanks for the reply.

I read the FAQ and it does a great job of explaining the fundamentals. I looked at the transport mode and it is set to "automatic". With that being said...I ran a full backup of 75GB and it took 1 hour and 52 minutes at a processing rate of 11 MB/s. I'm running another full backup with the transport mode set to Direct SAN. I'll post the results when the backup is complete.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Direct SAN should be selected with automatic mode, if available. Most likely network mode is currently being used (you can find the transport mode tag in the job statistics window, if you select the particular VM to the left and look at the proxy server selected for data processing; it should be either [san] or [nbd]). Does your proxy have access to the SAN LUNs?