Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
niallrbroome
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Niall Broome

Question with regards to cross platform replication

Post by niallrbroome »

Hi Guys, first post so be gentle :-)

i had a scenario put to me by one of our sales guys which iv not been able to find a definitive answer too.

here it is:
We have a customer who is currently using Hyper-V for Virtualization in their environment, they are wanted to use Veeam to backup their servers (which is fine), but they then want to host replicas of the those VM's with us for DR, this is where we have a problem. Currently we have no Hyper-V environment and are solely a VMware - VSphere host. The question I have been asked is if there is any way, using veeam, we can take a replica of their Hyper-V servers and have the replicas hosted within our VSphere environment?

My initial response was no, but said that i would double check on that as i haven't had it asked before.

Thanks in advanced
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Question with regards to cross platform replication

Post by veremin »

My initial response was no, but said that i would double check on that as i haven't had it asked before.
Your response was correct, there is no cross platform replication available in VB&R.

You can try to deploy nested Hyper-V server (hyper-v server deployed as vSphere VM) in your environment. But in this case the performance is unlikely to be very good.

Otherwise, you might want to install something like Hyper-V server 2012 R2 and let your customers select it as a target for their replication jobs.

Thanks.
niallrbroome
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Niall Broome

Post by niallrbroome »

Thanks for the quick reply, and confirmation of what thought, still new and learning so second guessing myself.

cheers again :D
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You're welcome. Should other questions arise, feel free to contact us.