Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
bma-bs
Novice
Liked: never

Incremental Backup to different Tape Server

Post by bma-bs »

Hello,

we have two data centers in our facility.
One is a "remote" data center (several minutes away), where the Veeam Server and a new LTO6 library is installed.
In the "local" data center there is an old LTO4 automated library available, reachable in 20 seconds.
The old backup infrastructure is not cabable of a full backup in 24h anymore due to the amount of data.

So we are planning to take a full backup on a weekly base in the remote Location and Transfer daily incrementals in the local LTO4 drive for disaster recovery (daily tape Exchange to safe).

Unfortunately, a Backup to Tape Job can only adress full and incremental Media pools on the same tape Server.

Is there a way to create a Job which only Transfers the last incremental .vib Files to Tape, or does anybody have different thoughts of a solution?

Thanks in advance,
Arne
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Incremental Backup to different Tape Server

Post by veremin »

You can create two different files to tape jobs (one per tape server) and by specifying corresponding file masks (.vib, .vbk) let them archive fulls and increments in accordance. But should the need for restore come, the process of figuring out necessary tapes and how they relate to each other would be rather hard.
bma-bs
Novice

Post by bma-bs »

Hi,

I found a suitable solution for us.
It's not quite beautiful but it seems to work like expected.
I change the target media pool of both, full and incremental, with a powershell script to the desired Destination.

On Mondays, before the incrementals are written to tape, I change it to the LTO4 Pool, on Sundays before the full backups are written, back to the LTO6 with Windows Task Scheduler.

If someone else has similar problems, this is the Script for changing to the LTO4 Pool:

Code: Select all

Add-PSSnapin -Name VeeamPsSnapin

$schedule = New-VBRFullBackupToTapePolicy -Type WeeklyOnDays -WeeklyOnDays Sunday

Set-VBRBackupToTapeJob -Job "Part 1 to Tape" -IncrementalBackupMediaPool "LTO4 daily" -FullBackupMediaPool "LTO4 daily" -ProcessIncrementalBackup -FullBackupPolicy $schedule
Set-VBRBackupToTapeJob -Job "Part 2 to Tape" -IncrementalBackupMediaPool "LTO4 daily" -FullBackupMediaPool "LTO4 daily" -ProcessIncrementalBackup -FullBackupPolicy $schedule
Regards,
Arne
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What about the first line? Can you clarify why you need to set full backup days each time the script gets executed?
bma-bs
Novice

Post by bma-bs »

For some reasons, the full backup days differed from the one I did set up after execution of the script.
I think it's a bug in the PS-Snapin.
So I took the setup the full backup policy into the script to be sure that it's correct afterwards.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it. Can you provide the script that changes the specified full backup schedule; should help us to identify whether or not the bug is present in the said commandlet? Thanks.
bma-bs
Novice

Post by bma-bs »

I just tried it again, and it is like I said:

Just take away the FullBackupPolicy parameter and the schedule is set to MO-FR.
You have to set it actively to Sunday to prevent changes.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it. Let me double check that in my environment and post back.