Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aeccles
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Storage migration via Replica - backup copy reseed required?

Post by aeccles »

Hoping to use replicas to migrate 3 servers (about 3TB of data) from a 1gb SAN to a 10gb SAN. We don't own Storage vMotion so cold migration is the only option there... thats OK for small servers but I'd like to avoid the large downtime for the larger ones. My plan was to use Veeam and create replicas on the new SAN, then make them permanent after the recovery.

One question though... I currently have regular backup jobs for these three servers, as well as backup copy jobs that go offsite. The bandwidth is low, so preserving the seed is critical. Can this be done when using the replica method above, or does the UUID change? I have read some conflicting things so it would be great to have some clarification. If there's any other helpful tips for a migration like this please feel free to share them

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Storage migration via Replica - backup copy reseed requi

Post by foggy »

Replica VM ID will change anyway, since replica VM is registered on the target side anew, be it either full replication job run or seeded from backup. Seed, however, will allow to avoid transfer of the entire VM.

You can also consider doing planned failover to minimize data loss during migration.
aeccles
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Re: Storage migration via Replica - backup copy reseed requi

Post by aeccles »

ok thank you