Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Darren Slupek

Backup issues

Post by deesloop »

Further to this post
I have replication working away from the production site to the DR site
However I now want the DR site to host my backups
Rather than running the backups against the live VMs in the server room and dragging them over the wire again to he DR site
(which although on the same LAN, is in a different building) I thought it wise to run the backup against the replicas.

However I'm not sure that this is supported?
I've tried a test and get

16 March 2015 01:00:29
Success 0 Start time 01:00:29 Processed 0.0 KB Backup size 30.1 MB Some VMs were not processed during the copy interval
Warning 1 End time 01:00:56 (+1) Read 0.0 KB Dedupe 1.0x
Error 0 Duration 0:00:53 Transferred 0.0 KB (1x) Compression 1.0x
Details
Name Status Start time End time Processed Read Transferred Duration Details
MailServer Warning 01:01:20 01:00:48 (+1) 0.0 KB 0.0 KB 0.0 KB (1x) 0:00:00 Initial copy did not complete, and will resume on the next copy interval

Had 3 of these so far all with 0Kb.

Am I missing something here?
Must the DR VMs be powered on to do a backup as this would then mean machines in the same subnet with the same IPs,names etc and so I
am assuming that this is not the case....
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup issues

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Darren,
deesloop wrote:Further to this post
The link doesn`t work. Probably the post has been merged or something. Could you find it or just describe what was it about?
deesloop wrote:I thought it wise to run the backup against the replicas.
However I'm not sure that this is supported?
Making bakups from replicas is not supported; but starting from v8 we have a similar option of using backup files as a source of replication jobs.
deesloop wrote:Error 0 Duration 0:00:53 Transferred 0.0 KB (1x) Compression 1.0x
Details
Name Status Start time End time Processed Read Transferred Duration Details
MailServer Warning 01:01:20 01:00:48 (+1) 0.0 KB 0.0 KB 0.0 KB (1x) 0:00:00 Initial copy did not complete, and will resume on the next copy interval
As far as I understood it`s related to a backup copy job? What is your "Copy every" interval configuration? Looks like your job cannot do that with the defined interval.
Review these existing topics for further reading > Incremental copy was not processed during the copy interval
deesloop wrote:Must the DR VMs be powered on to do a backup
It can be powered-off as well.
deesloop
Enthusiast

Post by deesloop »

Apologies not sure why the link doesnt work. Think I truncated the html to htm in error...

Link is http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-re ... 26627.html
Gostev suggested I raise a case as I feel it's slow performance (we are lookin to upgrade link to 1gb as it should be just a
case of uppoing the fibre converter). I have raised a case 00833547 but a remote session might be the best way to
evaluate the current setup?

In my head a backup of a replica makes more sense that a replica from a backup, and thats where I am going wrong perhaps.
I do want to do what your article suggests and replicate and backup my live VMs to the DR site.

It suggests creating a (remote?) replica from the backup rather than a backup from the replica?
Reason I ask is that when I go to create a backup the sources are VMs from the infrastructure, (which is what I've tried)
VMs from the backup (I've done no backups yet - they all fail), or from Jobs. Not sure what jobs are but nothing is listed
in there despite numeras replcias having been successfully done.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for providing the correct link.
As far as I see you`ve just opened the case, so let Veeam technical engineers check where the problem is and help you see the advantage of the WAN Acceleration.

In general, we recommend to use backup jobs as a primary mechanism of data protection. While replication helps to achieve the fastest recovery. Please review this article about best backup practices.
deesloop wrote:I've done no backups yet - they all fail
You should definitely raise this question with your support engineer.
Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Darren, you can backup replica VMs, though there're some limitations regarding that (for example, CBT does not work in this case). And you should use regular backup jobs for that (and point them to the replica VMs in the DR stie), not backup copy jobs, as you're trying to do now.
deesloop
Enthusiast

Post by deesloop »

I'm lost :(

Shestakov says
Making bakups from replicas is not supported
Yet Foggy says
you can backup replica VMs but
I want to be able to recover any email item, file , AD item or sql table this is from the backup I presume
But I also want replicas of machines standing buy incase the mine site fully dies. - these are replicas and not used to recover an individual item say.

Am I doing this all wrong?
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Foggy suggested you to make backups of replica VMs what is possible, while I meant that you can not choose replication files as a source for a backup job, mentioning that it is possible to choose backup files as a source for replication job. Sorry if it was not explicit.
deesloop wrote:I want to be able to recover any email item, file , AD item or sql table this is from the backup I presume
But I also want replicas of machines standing buy incase the mine site fully dies. - these are replicas and not used to recover an individual item say.
Am I doing this all wrong?
You are correct.
Thanks.
deesloop
Enthusiast

Post by deesloop »

By a backup of a replicated machine do you mean a copy of the replicated machine (which seems unnecessary)
or a backup of the machine. Eg rather than just replciation the VM and it's state you backup the files system, databases etc that are held inthe replica.

It may sound like I'm trying to pick fault but I just need to get it clear in my head, and it's still not.
Apologies
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

By replicated VM I mean the machine running on your DR site (usually these vms have suffix _replica). As was mentioned, you can backup it as well. Here is a similar post describing Replicated VMs Backup.
deesloop wrote:It may sound like I'm trying to pick fault but I just need to get it clear in my head, and it's still not.
Don`t worry, ask questions once you have some.