Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cparker4486
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Chris

Looking to buy some new hardware. Need feedback.

Post by cparker4486 »

Hello,

I have two goals with this new hardware (depending on budget): (1) gain the ability to run SureBackup (current attempts at running SB almost always timeout) and (2) speed up processing for WAN Acceleration (WAN Target is always the primary bottleneck.)

If I meet both goals I'd have to buy two servers. I plan to buy the same hardware for both (for simplicity's sake and ignorance of a better setup, hence this post) with the exception being differing amounts of local storage.

One server would go on site (goal #1) and become the primary backup target. It'd have enough storage to store a few restore points for all my jobs (~2TB) and send a copy to a local Synology DS1812+. It would also ship copies to a Synology in my colo across town.

The server that would satisfy goal #2 would be in my colo and have less storage (just enough for OS install and WAN cache: ~500GB).

The server is a PowerEdge R430 with one Xeon E5-2623 3GHz with 4 cores (expandable to a 2nd CPU later), 16 GB RAM, and up to 8 x 2.5" drives. I plan to use consumer Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSDs in both servers.

Having said all that, does anyone have any alternate suggestions? Any and all feedback is welcome.
-- Chris
cparker4486
Expert

Re: Looking to buy some new hardware. Need feedback.

Post by cparker4486 »

Also, I plan to put Windows 8.1 Enterprise on these devices to cut costs and because it's supported by Veeam.
-- Chris
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi Chris, I'd put more RAM into the one that will serve as the primary repository (32GB), other than that your setup looks good to me. Thanks!
cparker4486
Expert

Post by cparker4486 »

Would that boost in RAM impact SureBackup or regular backup performance more? (Or would it impact them both about equally?)
-- Chris
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I would say both, since having more memory would allow you to run more concurrent tasks on the repository:
System requirements wrote:Memory: 4 GB RAM plus 2 GB RAM for each concurrent job.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

All free physical RAM will be allocated for system cache, which is known to improve I/O performance, as some vPower NFS read request will be served from RAM. And I just realized that this probably does not matter much with SSD storage. However, considering you will have ALL roles running on the same server, 32GB is usually a better option, especially considering that the price difference between 16GB and 32GB of RAM is negligible these days. It's always good to have same head room with RAM for the future as well (as you will probably be using this hardware for at least 5 years).

I am not really pushing hard for this in your case, since you environment is rather small (judging on the size of backups), but do consider this to make your purchase more future proof. Things like being able to handle future Veeam versions functionality, which may require that you install additional roles and components with their own RAM requirements (just like built-in WAN acceleration came into the picture in v7, asking for extra 8GB of RAM).