Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dweide
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: D. Weide

How to move Veeam installation to new vm

Post by dweide »

Hello,

I just moved my existing Veeam B&R 8 to a new VM (migrating from Win2008R2 to Win2012R2).

After config Export on the old VM, fresh install on the new VM and Import of the config on the new VM that seems to work OK, but I have several questions:

- I merged the Content of C:\VBRCatalog from the old to the new VM, was that really required?
- The Backup Enterprise Manager Shows no content on the new VM, it is simply empty.
How can I move the existing config and history to the new VM?
Import DB-backup, which tables??
Or add the new B&R-Server? But then what about the history...???
- Veeam ONE obviously cant connect to the B&R Server, simply add a new Server and remove the privious one? Any pitfalls here??

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: How to move Veeam installation to new vm

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,
- I merged the Content of C:\VBRCatalog from the old to the new VM, was that really required?
No, it's not required, unless you need to keep this data. Please check out this KB for more details on how to migrate VBRCatalog directory > http://www.veeam.com/kb1453
- The Backup Enterprise Manager Shows no content on the new VM, it is simply empty.
Did you add your new server to the EM and still can't see any jobs?
How can I move the existing config and history to the new VM?
Import DB-backup, which tables??
Or add the new B&R-Server? But then what about the history...???
Yes, using configuration tool does not retain your data. If you want to move this as well, you will need to migrate the database and then point your new backup server to the existing SQL Server hosting your Veeam database.

This KB should give you some useful tips, please look through it > http://www.veeam.com/kb1889
dweide wrote:Veeam ONE obviously cant connect to the B&R Server, simply add a new Server and remove the privious one? Any pitfalls here??
Yes. Since your previous backup server is not longer available, you will need to remove old Veeam backup server and add the new one. The only pitfall is that you will lose all your historical data, as it gets deleted with the server records from the database. Also make sure you are running Veeam ONE v8 update 1 before removing the backup server.

Thank you!