Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
killerkhan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Farid U Khan

VEEAM B&R with Symantec BE 2010

Post by killerkhan »

I am trying to figure out how this VEEAM B&R will play with Symantec BE 2010 or vice versa. I love the Symantec BE GRT technology so I would like to use it for regular vmware backups but I dont like their dedupe replication. So for replication I would like to use Veeam. Question is around change block.

If I do a full weekly backup and many incremental backups with BE 2010 and then do nightly replication using veeam on weekdays, how does the veeam keep track of change block then? the BE also takes a snapshots. When i run BE backup and then right click the VM and look at snapshots I see the snapshot it took and then i see You are here below it, then when I do the veeam replication and i check the VM snapshots again I see the veem backup under the symantec incremental snapshot. I assume they track their own snapshots, so in a mix like this how can I take snapshots by multiple apps from the same VM and still be able to give each app its own level of change block? or let me reword this question, how can I achieve Symantec GRT with veeam replication?

by the way, veeam backup speed does not go beyond 9-10MB/sec while from symantec BE i can get anywhere from 2000-3000MB/Min.

Anyone else doing something like this? thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: VEEAM B&R with Symantec BE 2010

Post by Gostev »

Our product (incuding changed block tracking functionality) will not be affected by other DR products processing the same VM, so this is not an issue to worry about.

Expected performance figures for Veeam Backup on ESX4 for average storage hardware is 50MB/s for full backup, and 500MB/s for incremental backup. More results posted on these forums by various customers are consolidated here. So it could be that your Veeam server lacks CPU power, using non-optimal job processing mode, issues with target storage or network connectivity on Veeam server, etc.

Of course replication also depends on link speed and target host (ESX vs. ESXi), but in all cases if you have vSphere I would expect at least 10-20 times faster speed on the incremental replication passes over decent link.

Thanks!
killerkhan
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Farid U Khan

Re: VEEAM B&R with Symantec BE 2010

Post by killerkhan »

Gostev, thanks for your prompt reply. I will go ahead with the tests now.

farid