Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Clindell
Lurker
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Charlie Lindell

Hyper-V failed to connect to host

Post by Clindell »

I've installed Veeam Free v 8 on windows 7 to try it on one Hyper-V host that runs 2 VM's. Once I get to the screen where to add a server I put the name of the server in, type "Standalone Server" and credentials. I get the error message "failed to connect to host Standalone sever name" Access denied or timeout. Possible reasons are 1. Invalid credentials 2. Specified host is not a Hyper-V server.

I can login remotely to this standalone server with RDP as a local admin using the server name that resolves in my DNS. I can see where An account was successfully logged on in the server security event log and then it is logged off. I am getting through to the Server.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: Hyper-V failed to connect to host

Post by Gostev »

Could be firewall blocking the required ports, for example... hard to say without seeing the debug logs. Please open a support case, as requested when you click New Topic. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Also try installing Veeam backup server on the Hyper-V host itself and the adding it. This could help in narrowing down the scope of possible reasons for this error message.
Clindell
Lurker
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Charlie Lindell

Post by Clindell » 3 people like this post

I found that since this is a standalone server the Admin account I setup could not authenticate. I read somewhere else about this problem and it suggested using the local administrator with the "Servername\Administrator" and its password. When I did this the install was able to run. This is perplexing as the Admin account I setup was a member of the local Administrator group so it should have the same rights as the original.

Does anyone know what the differences are and why as I'd like to disable the local Administrator account and run from the one I created?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Charlie, thanks for the update! Please take a look at Tom's response about built-in and self-created admin accounts > Backup failing due to UAC?
fabechkit
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexander Fabech

Post by fabechkit »

Clindell wrote:I found that since this is a standalone server the Admin account I setup could not authenticate. I read somewhere else about this problem and it suggested using the local administrator with the "Servername\Administrator" and its password. When I did this the install was able to run. This is perplexing as the Admin account I setup was a member of the local Administrator group so it should have the same rights as the original.

Does anyone know what the differences are and why as I'd like to disable the local Administrator account and run from the one I created?
Thanks for help. I just added my servername, so it worked with: "HyperV01\Administrator" and then it worked :-)
homero92
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Homero Salazar

[MERGED] Failed to connect to host

Post by homero92 »

I´m trying to add a hyper-v host to my veeam Backup & replication 9.5 u1 console, but it shows me the following:
Failed to connect to host, Access denied or timeout expired. Check if you have local administrator privileges on computer,
I just add the hyper-v role to my windows server, and i´m working with the administrator account, does anybody knows what i´m missing?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi homero92,

Check the trick suggested in this thread. If that’s not working, kindly, open a support case. Thank you.
powersjo
Influencer
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Jonathan Powers

Post by powersjo » 1 person likes this post

Clindell wrote: Mar 20, 2015 3:48 pm I found that since this is a standalone server the Admin account I setup could not authenticate. I read somewhere else about this problem and it suggested using the local administrator with the "Servername\Administrator" and its password. When I did this the install was able to run. This is perplexing as the Admin account I setup was a member of the local Administrator group so it should have the same rights as the original.

This fixed my issue!
Thank you,
- Powersjo :mrgreen:

https://powersjo.com/veeam