Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
MiniWalks
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Matt Walker

Restore from SMB with Static IP doesnt work

Post by MiniWalks »

Hi Guys,

Testing a restore of a machine with Veeam Endpoint, i noticed that if you manually specify the IP address settings for the NIC, it cannot search the network.

This is resolved by running DHCP, however it is an annoyance to have to change VLANs/NICs etc

Kind Regards,
Matt Walker
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Restore from SMB with Static IP doesnt work

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Matt,

Any advanced settings in your firewall or router (for instance I remember some problems with IP address being directly assigned to the appliance while MAC binding was enabled for non DHCP clients).
MiniWalks
Influencer

Post by MiniWalks »

Hi D.Popov,
When restoring using the Veeam ISO, i set the settings for a known "unused" IP Address in the VMNIC0 and it was unable to browse the network for the backup repository/SMB share.

There are no Firewalls between the destination/target VM and the source SMB share.

I was unable to ping the recovery machine when attempting to set the IP address, once the VMNIC was changed to DHCP it was able to browse and restore

Any ideas?

Otherwise its a great product :)
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Matt,
Thanks! Once the network was configured manually without DHCP can you close the wizard, open Tool > CMD and try to ping the backup location from the recovery appliance?
MiniWalks
Influencer

Post by MiniWalks »

Hi Again,

Thanks for the below info, I will try it when I next have a chance to test again which will probably be early next week

Kind Regards,
Matt
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Matt,
Any time which suites you the most, just do not forget to update this thread with the results – we are really interested in your case. Thank you in advance.