Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
timstumbo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tim Stumbo

Backup Copy Job Issue

Post by timstumbo »

I've always struggled to get the Backup Copy Jobs to work smoothly in my backup environment. For a long time I had it setup where I had two identical backup jobs, one that goes to a NAS onsite and another that goes to a NAS offsite. As my VM's have grown this option isn't possible anymore due to time limitations. After reading some online I decided to try having a single Backup Copy Job for all my regular Backup Jobs. Someone else also suggested starting the Backup Copy job when the regular backups start so it can start copying the new restore points offsite while the other jobs are still running to save time. This worked well the first test run and completed in about 6 hours compared to the 10+ hours it was taking before with my other configuration.

The only problem I'm having now is that sometimes the Backup Copy job want start syncing when the first backup job completes. It will just be sitting in an idle state saying "waiting for next copy interval". I have the backup copy job setup to run anytime without restrictions under the schedule section. I think the issue though is with the copy interval. Right now I have it to copy every 1 day and have the time set to start at the same time as the first regular backup job. Would it be better to start the new copy interval before or after the backups start to help with this problem?

Thanks for the help.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job Issue

Post by foggy »

Tim, could you please elaborate on the actual issue? Does the backup copy job start copying once the newly created restore point becomes available?
timstumbo
Enthusiast

Post by timstumbo »

The first test run I did on Saturday worked fine, as soon as new restore points came available they started copying. Last night I adjusted the times on the backup jobs and the copy job, after doing this the copy job was stuck in the idle "waiting for new copy interval" state. I had to click on "sync now" for it to actually start copying the new restore points. Is it possible that the copy job had already synced that day so even there were new restore points available it was waiting for the new copy interval the upcoming day to start?
timstumbo
Enthusiast

Post by timstumbo »

An update..

I currently have the copy interval set for every 1 day and I set the time to 8:30PM, 30 minutes before the regular backup jobs start at 9:00PM. I was hoping that having the copy job restart 30 minutes before the other jobs would fix the issue but it didn't. After the first backup job was complete the copy job remained in an idle state showing "waiting for next copy interval". I had to manually select sync now for it to start. I'm going to try adjusting the time tonight to 9:30PM tonight so the copy job cycles after the normal backups start running.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

timstumbo wrote:Is it possible that the copy job had already synced that day so even there were new restore points available it was waiting for the new copy interval the upcoming day to start?
Yes, backup copy job copies data only once during each sync interval.

Adjusting the time the interval starts several times could mess the things up, so probably letting the job run on its own through the entire cycle might finally result in the expected behavior. Or you can contact support to verify what's going on with the help of logs review.