Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rklingaman
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Klingaman

Proxy/Tape in a Physical 2012 R2 Cluster

Post by rklingaman »

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge in getting the proxy and or Tape server role installed and working in a physical 2012R2 Cluster. I'm working with a single box that has locally shared storage with two different 2012R2 servers managing it both of the servers have direct SAN access.

Not sure exactly how to proceed in getting veeam to be able to backup to to the cluster and be able to gain High Availability on that backup storage. Now of course I could treat them as separate servers and do more of a manual switch if something fails.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Proxy/Tape in a Physical 2012 R2 Cluster

Post by veremin »

I'm not sure whether I got your question correctly. Are you after assigning both proxy and tape server roles to a given Windows 2012 R2 machine? If so, it's totally acceptable and you shouldn't face any issues while deploying that configuration.
rklingaman
Influencer

Post by rklingaman »

I want to assign both the proxy and tape server role to not one windows 2012 R2 machine but to an actual cluster of two so that if one machine fails the other one will pick up the work. The box in question is:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/syst ... E2R24L.cfm

One way I can achieve this is to install the proxy, repository and tape server role on one server then if that server fails the other one will pick up the storage automatically. Then I would have to manually configure veeam to move over to the new box.

What I would hope to be able to do is achieve high availability so that veeam would never notice the difference in a failure.

Reason for this:

I am use to using high availability SAN boxes for storage that are fully redundant then a single server as the proxy. If the single server failed then I would have to build another one but the storage is intact. It really made since to bring the storage in with the server like I see a lot of people doing but just not comfortable with all that single point of failure and then the recovery time behind it.

This box not only keeps us redundant on the storage level but gives us additional redundancy on the server level.

Edit: just realized I had this in the Tape section could I get it moved out to the main forum?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Ryan, this thread might be interesting for you.
rklingaman
Influencer

Post by rklingaman »

Thanks for the post that was what I was looking to achieve as well. I will start down that path and see how I fair.