Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
newguise_
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matt Nock

Backup Copy using an earlier restore point than the latest

Post by newguise_ »

I have a fairly long reversed incremental backup chain from a job that included approx 25 VMs. I need to take a restore point from somewhere near the middle of this chain and copy it off to a full backup file for archival purposes. I am hoping there is a way to do this with a Backup Copy job, but my understanding after looking at the job options and reading the documentation is that the backup Copy process always selects the latest restore point as the source, and that there is no way to select an earlier restore point in the chain. Please someone tell me I'm wrong :)

Otherwise, the only method I can see is to do a full restore of all the VMs I need from the desired restore point, and then back them up again to the archival media.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy using an earlier restore point than the late

Post by foggy »

Matt, you're right, there's no way to use backup copy job for that and correct workaround is to restore VMs from required restore point and back them up then.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Copy using an earlier restore point than the late

Post by veremin »

The easiest option might be usage of Instant VM Recovery that allows VM to be published directly from backup file and subsequent backup of that Instantly Recovered VM. Thanks.