Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
StephanF
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

Some questions while evaluating Veeam B&R

Post by StephanF »

Hi,

I am currently evaluating Veeam Backup&Recovery v8 before maybe buying it soon. For some questions I could not find an answer until now and hope you can help me. I just started my tests so please excuse any stupid questions.

We have a 3 node Hyper-V Cluster (2 CPU-sockets each) with EqualLogic SAN running about 25 virtual servers.

1. As I read Veeam Backup Essentials can be licensed for a total of 6 CPU sockets with is the amout that we have right now. If we want to deploy a physical Hyper-V Offhost Proxy server with 2 additional CPUs are we eligible to use the Essentials Edition? Do only the sockets of the productive hosts count or also those of the backup environment?

2. We want to intensively use SureBackup and Virtual Labs. Are those temporary VMs always deployed on the productive hosts or ist it possible to use the Hyper-V Offhost Proxy server to host these machines? In my understanding this would make sense and take the load aways from the productive environment but I don't know if it is possible.

3. If #2 is possible, is it correct that I would need a Windows Server Datacenter license for the Hyper-V Offhost Proxy server? It would be possible that any of the productive VM runs on this machine for an amount of time so these must be licensed like on the productive cluster.

4. I already managed to do a backup of a VM to a disk repository and then copied this backup to tape. My goal is to restore a single file inside of the VM from the tape. Is it correct that I first have to restore the whole backup from tape to disk and the do the single file recovery?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards
Stephan
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Some questions while evaluating Veeam B&R

Post by foggy »

Hello, Stephan, welcome to the community and please find answers to your questions below.
StephanF wrote:1. As I read Veeam Backup Essentials can be licensed for a total of 6 CPU sockets with is the amout that we have right now. If we want to deploy a physical Hyper-V Offhost Proxy server with 2 additional CPUs are we eligible to use the Essentials Edition? Do only the sockets of the productive hosts count or also those of the backup environment?
Proxy servers do not need to be licensed, only hosts that hold the VMs you're backing up/replicating are licensed.
StephanF wrote:2. We want to intensively use SureBackup and Virtual Labs. Are those temporary VMs always deployed on the productive hosts or ist it possible to use the Hyper-V Offhost Proxy server to host these machines? In my understanding this would make sense and take the load aways from the productive environment but I don't know if it is possible.
You can deploy virtual lab on any of the available hosts, not necessarily production ones.
StephanF wrote:3. If #2 is possible, is it correct that I would need a Windows Server Datacenter license for the Hyper-V Offhost Proxy server? It would be possible that any of the productive VM runs on this machine for an amount of time so these must be licensed like on the productive cluster.
Please review this thread for an answer.
StephanF wrote:4. I already managed to do a backup of a VM to a disk repository and then copied this backup to tape. My goal is to restore a single file inside of the VM from the tape. Is it correct that I first have to restore the whole backup from tape to disk and the do the single file recovery?
This is correct.

Hope this helps.
tym
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tim Diekhans

Post by tym »

a question about the last point: do I actually have to restore the _whole_ backup, or just the vm in which the file is located?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Backup file.