Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vbr4pppsgv
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: PPPSGV IT Admin

Backup Copy to different Repos on same NAS?

Post by vbr4pppsgv »

I am planning an upgrade of my VEEAM backup repositories and had a question about Backup Copies. We currently have a 2 repositories. First is a Physical server with 4 x 4TB SATA drives in RAID10. It's also my Veeam server. This repo gets my daily backups with the actual Hyper-V host as the proxy. Then I run a backup copy with GFS settings to a Synology NAS (connected as a CIFS share with the host being the Hyper-V server.) Switch is gigabit with no teaming/LCAP. For my upgrade, I was thinking to virtualize the Veeam server and get a new NAS with a combination of SSDs and SATA drives, and upgrade the switch to 10G. NAS and servers would be upgraded to 10G. I would setup 2 repositories. The daily one would be all SSDs and the GFS would be on the SATA drives. My question is how does a backup copy job move data between repositories? If both repositories are on the same device, will the traffic still go out the switch, to the Host server that "owns" the NAS, then back to the NAS? If this is the case, it seems that it might be better to keep the physical server with the SATA drives and make it the "owner" of the NAS so that backup copies don't go in and out of the switch.

Thanks in advance.
-Chris
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Backup Copy to different Repos on same NAS?

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Chris.

That is correct, in case of direction connection between server and NAS backup data will not be hitting the switch.

Even better option would be to buy another server w/local storage instead of NAS, as this way there will be not network traffic involved at all. Which may not be a concern anyway, since you are planning for using 10Gb Ethernet. However, there is another benefit of added reliability in case of a server as well.

Thanks!