Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Someonenew2014
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

How VEEAM is working with Hyper-V

Post by Someonenew2014 »

Hi VEEAM guys,

I work with SharePoint and SQL server running over Hyper-V. Microsoft provide VSS to make the backup work in virtual environment and this backup ensure application is consistent. VEEAM dealing with VSS directly and it is supported from both VEEAM and Microsoft.

In Shared VHDX backup taken through crash consistent-state and at same time backup through VSS which approve that is supported.

Based on the above information, is VEEAM create a service in guest cluster (shared VHDX) or even single VHDX and take the backup and remove this service? is this how VEEAM works.
Get inside virtual machines and take backup and remove this service.

I can see from event viewer

The VeeamVssSupport service entered the stopped state.

The VeeamVssSupport service entered the running state..

A service was installed in the system.

Service Name: VeeamVssSupport
Service File Name: C:\Windows\VeeamVssSupport\VeeamGuestHelper.exe
Service Type: user mode service
Service Start Type: auto start
Service Account: LocalSystem
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: How VEEAM is working with Hyper-V

Post by Shestakov »

Veeam Backup & Replication uses a runtime coordination process on every VM that is started once the backup operation is launched, and removed as soon as it is finished. This helps avoid agent-related drawbacks such as pre-installing, troubleshooting and updating. So no persistent agents are deployed inside VMs.
When you enable guest file system indexing, VBR deploys a runtime process inside VM as well.
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Someonenew2014 wrote:In Shared VHDX backup taken through crash consistent-state and at same time backup through VSS which approve that is supported.
Not exactly, please see my post in this thread for more details on how shared VHDX disks are handled > Backing up a Windows Failover Cluster with Shared vhdx?
Someonenew2014
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Post by Someonenew2014 »

Thank you all. I don't understand till now. Is my database files MDF,LDF that is reside on shared VHDX as SQL cluster When taking the backup is all DB files will be in good state to recover, I'm Okay with some data loss but not files that will not work.

I would want to end up with a situation when my backup is not a good state.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Typically, SQL Server is able to successfully recover from crash-consistent backup.